ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stardust (movie) type glow effect?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Jones
Stardust (movie) type glow effect?
on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:43:16 pm

Hi,

I've used After Effects for a long time, but in the last few years I've done mostly video edting and have gotten rusty in AE.

A client needs me to add a glow to an alien character, which he would like similar (not exact) to the glow effect used on Claire Danes in Stardust.

The alien is wearing all green -- it was poorly lit, but I've been able to key out the green sufficiently (with lots of animated masking).

Now... I'm struggling with how to make this glow effect. It can't be a straight glow or straight ray -- it has to look more organic. I've tried animating the hair effect, radial blur, light rays, and light burst together and am coming close, but it seems like I am missing something.

I am planning to upgrade to CS5.5 shortly -- are there any new tools since CS3 that might help this?

I'm not sure if links will post, but here's a link to the work in progress pre-glow (it's a kid's show, so they've asked for the funny color-changing and bubble effects too):

http://184.168.126.87/echo/AlienA-02-Sep21-943pm.mp4

Thanks,
Gray.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Stardust (movie) type glow effect?
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:28:19 pm

i'm trying to remember the glow effect... was it kind of ray like?

if so you might try playing around with cc radial fast blur. you can apply it to a duplicate of the alien key and play around with that layer's blending modes.

adding fractal noise prior to the fast radial blur effect can make the rays more defined, and if you animate the evolution property the rays can animate.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Sep 22, 2011 at 8:36:47 pm

Hi,

thanks for your quick reply! I'll give that a try.

It's hard to see from a still, but this is what the effect looked like on Claire Danes:
http://184.168.126.87/echo/StardustGlowSample1.jpg

It was very organic, evolving. I think your tips should work to get what I need.

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Gray.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 22, 2011 at 8:58:17 pm

Oooh, an old trick: Instant Sex!

You duplicate the layer, blur the top one, fool around with the Levels effect and use a blend mode like Add or Lighten. You can animate the amount of blur and the Levels histogram.

Be sure to thank Chis and Trish Meyer for this one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Graham Jones
on Sep 22, 2011 at 10:52:28 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]