ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Speedy Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon RoughanSpeedy Text
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 2:59:56 pm

Im trying to animate a word that looks as if a car drives past really fast, and the text bends with the direction of the sound, and then straightens back up and wiggles a bit.
I have my text layer, per 3d Character enabled, with a skew and motion blur on it. It looks sorta ok, but i need it to look more organic, like its rubber. Ive tried playing a bit with the wiggle expression, but to no avail.
Optimal would be each character bends to the right, straightens back up and wiggles a bit. Ya know what I mean?
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

(CS4, by the way...)

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Speedy Text
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:50:32 pm

so you want the text to stretch out -- like it's baseline is attached to the floor, but the top stretches out as the car passes. then snap back and bounce or wobble, like jello...

i've done this before using a logo, cc slant and a bounce expression. you might be able to work it with a skew text animator, but cc slant should also work for a text layer... i'll describe the method i used with cc slant.

add cc slant and adjust the floor property to be around the baseline of the text. this is the line that will remain static. then animate the slant property to stretch with the car pass, then snap back to zero after it passes.

to get the 'bounce', select the skew property in the timeline and choose animation>add expression. in the expression field that pops up paste my favorite bounce expression:

freq = 4; // increase to bounce faster, decrease to slow it down
decay = 2; // increase to make the bouncing stop earlier
hard = false; // set to true to make a hard bounce, like a ball on the floor

n = 0;
p = thisProperty;
if (p.numKeys > 0){
n = p.nearestKey(time).index;
if (p.key(n).time > time) n--;
if (n > 0){
t = time - p.key(n).time;
amp = p.velocityAtTime(p.key(n).time - thisComp.frameDuration);
w = freq*Math.PI*2;
if (hard == true) amp *= Math.floor(t*freq*2)%2 ? 1 : -1;
value + amp* Math.sin(t*w)/Math.exp(decay*t)/w

adjust the top 2 variables ('freq' and 'decay')to change the speed of the bounce and the decay to get the results that you want, but the text should now wobble/bounce to a stop.

cc slant does not do motion blur, so if you need that, you'll need to precomp the text layer and add cc force motion blur to that precomp in the main comp.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Speedy Text
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:52:40 pm

Take a look at the Text Animation Preset Organic > Fishbait.

Change/Set the following Text Animator parameters -
Wiggles per second - 35
Skew - 70
Skew Axis - -47

Keyframe Max Amount and Min Amount from their default values down to zero over the time required for the effect.

Switch on Motion Blur for the layer and the Comp.

I think what you now have is a good starting point for your effect. Just take note that Max and Min Amounts help you to trigger the effect on or off. So, you may need one more keyframe for each of the two parameters so that your text starts from a normal state.

Take note that the settings above, in italics, are ideal for tweaking the final looks.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved