ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

trouble importing footage to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike McGee
trouble importing footage to AE
on Sep 22, 2011 at 6:59:56 am

I have been trying to import HD footage to a project that was shot on a Canon XL H1A at 1060 24P It was digitized into FCP6 running on a G5 tower and exported as a Quicktime movie. (The other footage from a Canon 7D works fine.) Every time place the footage in the composition it shows up black. It will not play back in quicktime on two of my G5's. On my G5 running FCP it will playback on quicktime but will not open in AE it shows up as white. All machines are running AE 6.5. Can anyone suggest a solution?
Thanks
Mike

Mike McGee

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: trouble importing footage to AE
on Sep 22, 2011 at 1:25:54 pm

What codec is the footage? You say it's encoded as a Quicktime, but a format is just a container, the big question is: what is the container holding?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 22, 2011 at 1:32:47 pm

I'm with Michael -- this sounds like a codec issue.

I'd guess the codec is either HDV or ProRes (both of which come with FCP), based on the information you've provided. It sounds like your Mac is older (G5, AE 6.5), so it's certainly possible you may not have these. You may need to update your software or ask someone to transcode the files for you.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 22, 2011 at 2:07:20 pm

another possibility is that you exported a quicktime reference movie instead of a self-contained quicktime movie. Usually you can tell it is a reference movie becuase the filesize is much smaller than you'd normally expect a file of that format and duration to be. Open the QT movie in QT7, "Save as..." and make sure the movie is "Self Contained", then give it a try....

(and/or transcode as Walter suggested)

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Mike McGee
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:58:36 pm

No it a self contained movie.
Thanks

Mike McGee

Return to posts index

Mike McGee
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:55:48 pm

Thank you for your help. What is transcoding? Under codecs it lists Integer (Big Endian, HDV 1080i 60. The footage that actually works in the project is listed under the codec as H.264, Integer (little Endian) Is this the codec I need it saved under?
Thanks again for your help.

Mike McGee

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:37:49 pm

[Mike McGee] "Can anyone suggest a solution?"

Sure can: export your video from FCP in the ProRes 422 codec. HDV video will give AE 6 absolute fits. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]