ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

reaaaaaally long clips?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
malcolm DeSoto
reaaaaaally long clips?
on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:43:07 am

So, I feel I may be using an antiquated work flow for transferring clips back and forth between my editing application and AE.

Unfortunately, I'm using Avid Media Composer instead of Premiere Pro. I say 'unfortunately, being that Avid isn't as smoothly integrated with AE as Premiere is.

Basically, I just export an uncompressed quicktime from Avid and import that into AE. I render out an uncompressed QT from AE and bring that back into Avid.

This works fine for shorter clips, but I'm about to embark on a longer form project in which I might have to deal with 1080p QT up to 10 min long.

In the past, I haven't been able to import QT reference clips into AE.

There has to be a better workflow out there.

Suggestions?

runawaykitee.blogspot.com

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: reaaaaaally long clips?
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:32:46 am

Two possibilities occur to my mind:

1. Automatic Duck can translate an Avid timeline into AE: http://automaticduck.com/products/piae/
2. Export an AAF out of Avid, import that into Premiere (if you have Premiere), at which point the Premiere-->AE jump is fast.

#2 is unstable (in my experience). So make sure you give it a test run first!
Both of these help with the Avid to AE part. For AE to Avid, I think you have to render, plain an simple....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

malcolm DeSoto
on Sep 22, 2011 at 1:22:36 pm

Thanks.

I don't have Premiere and although I'm aware of the Automatic Duck option, it's a $500 option :S

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Sep 22, 2011 at 1:35:56 pm

you may be ale to save some import time on the avid if you render to avid quicktime codecs from ae...

avid's dnxhd (which i assume you'd be using for your 1080 project) works pretty well with ae, so you might export from avid and render from ae with it and see if that helps speed things up.

if avid and ae aren't on the same machine, avid offers the codecs for download:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=372311&ssdFilt...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

malcolm DeSoto
on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:38:08 pm

Thanks Kevin. I've always heard that you shouldn't use AE for encoding, but I might give it a shot this time around.

Walter, It's a feature length project so some of the shots may actually be quite long. I'm not talking about clips straight out of the bin.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:41:36 pm

[malcolm DeSoto] "I've always heard that you shouldn't use AE for encoding, but I might give it a shot this time around."

You're right that you should avoid encoding with AE for delivery compression schemes like MPEG-2 or H.264 which benefit from multi-pass encoding, because the AE render queue is incapable of it.

I do recommend rendering directly to a mastering-quality codec like DNxHD or ProRes -- it works beautifully and is a great workflow boost.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

malcolm DeSoto
on Sep 22, 2011 at 3:54:27 pm

Awesome, good to know. I'll start using that immediately

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 22, 2011 at 1:27:45 pm

[malcolm DeSoto] "Basically, I just export an uncompressed quicktime from Avid and import that into AE. I render out an uncompressed QT from AE and bring that back into Avid. This works fine for shorter clips, but I'm about to embark on a longer form project in which I might have to deal with 1080p QT up to 10 min long. "

Can you work on a shot-by-shot basis out of the edited timeline, rather than a clip-by-clip basis out of the bins?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 22, 2011 at 4:04:01 pm

The hands-down, easiest, least-painful method to go from Avid to AE is Automatic Duck. Using it will result in Avid edit timeline being converted into an AE comp complete with individual clips, transitions, the ability to trim, and perhaps even some effects.

It is, however, quite pricey: be prepared to fish out the ol' wallet and dig deep within.

Popcorn Island created a free application called FCP2AE. I don't know if a similar application exists for Avid.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]