ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Sketch Drawing Style & Masking Background to Character Movement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam KoisSketch Drawing Style & Masking Background to Character Movement
by on Sep 21, 2011 at 4:55:16 pm

So I am working on a project that is using characters in a sketch / illustrated style. The issue I'm having is that since there is no fill on these characters and the background is a gradient, I have to mask any object behind the character moving (foreground).

For example: BG layer is blue gradient, background of scene is a house, and a character walks in front of the house.

Now since the character has no fill layer the house shows through his body which doesn't make sense.

Is there an easy way to mask the house to match his movements? or any other work around for this style? I am also using the puppet tool for his movements.

For right now I just filled the character, but would really prefer not to. I can't fill him with the same blue gradient since it looks only correct if he is positioned in the part of the screen where it is the same color.

The only thing I can think of is to duplicated any foreground object and fill it. Then copy any key frames of the foreground object and apply to the new layer. Then use that layer as a subtraction mask on the background object.... seems like a lot of work though for this

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Sketch Drawing Style & Masking Background to Character Movement
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 1:26:03 pm

Duplicate your character.
Fill the duplicate.
Use it as a track matte to reveal a copy of the background.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved