ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Matching 2D background plate to camera rotation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john titor
Matching 2D background plate to camera rotation
on Sep 21, 2011 at 3:22:27 pm

I have a scene in maya where a camera rotates around a car, it starts from a front view and ends with a partial side view of the car. The car is a 3D model in maya, which I've rendered out. I want the background plate to line up with the camera movement, given that right now the car looks either like its rotating on a 2d still or doesn't match up with the bg correctly, if the bg is rendered out from the same camera in maya. Is there any way to match it correctly in AE?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Matching 2D background plate to camera rotation
on Sep 21, 2011 at 4:55:29 pm

So, if I understand correctly, you have a car rendered in Maya and an environment (bg plate) rendered using the same camera like the car and they do not match? Either the car or the bg plate may have different frame rates- did you check to see in Interpret footage if the fps is the same?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

john titor
on Sep 21, 2011 at 5:11:38 pm

I'm 99% sure that the frame rates are the same though I will double check. The bg plate is just a still image of a road surrounded by fields, the road takes up the majority of the scene. When rendered out using the same camera, the white markings don't match with the tires, the markings will start off under the tire, as the camera rotates they're no longer under the tire. It just looks like a mismatch between a 2d still and the 3d movement of the camera with a 3d object in the scene. If I use a simple plane as a substitute for the road then there isn't any mismatch between it and the car as the camera rotates around the car. However I'd like to see if there is any way I can achieve the same effect just using a 2d still with minimum fuss.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 21, 2011 at 5:43:58 pm

[john titor] "I'd like to see if there is any way I can achieve the same effect just using a 2d still with minimum fuss."

In your case, the road background is just as much a 3D object as the car. As Ted says, you would somehow have to use the road as an environment in Maya.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 21, 2011 at 6:06:31 pm

[john titor] "If I use a simple plane as a substitute for the road then there isn't any mismatch between it and the car as the camera rotates around the car. However I'd like to see if there is any way I can achieve the same effect just using a 2d still with minimum fuss."

The 2D still is just a flat plane, so it won't show the perspective shift you want as you rotate around it -- it will only appear correct from one single point of view.

You could use camera projection to project that photo onto simplified 3D geometry, but there are still limitations to how far you can push the camera movement.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 21, 2011 at 6:29:36 pm

+1 to Walter's idea: you'll need to use Maya to create some relatively basic geometry and then use camera projection. This method works much better for dolly-in/out or track-right/left shots rather than for 360-degree spins, however. (Things get much tricker for 360-degree stuff -- you may need to shoot stills for a new location and project an environment from that....)

Don't despair! Camera projection is a lot of fun! (And, the first time especially, a lot of work!)
For starters:
http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-maya/camera-projection-mapping-in...
http://www.qvolabs.com/maya_camera_projection_basic.html

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

john titor
on Sep 21, 2011 at 7:18:07 pm

Thanks for the help guys, I'll check out those tutorials

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 22, 2011 at 9:14:43 am

One other idea is to export the camera data from Maya and import in AE. Then use a 3d layer for the ground and Trapcode Horizon for the sky to create a 3d environment that will match the car. Here's a link to a project where I used the exact same technique for the first shot (the only difference is that the 3d hummers where in AE as well using Zaxwerks Invigorator Pro):

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]