ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color Change And Quality Loss After Rendering In After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay Toss
Color Change And Quality Loss After Rendering In After Effects
on Sep 21, 2011 at 5:47:27 am

so this is my problem..

The color changes after i render my video!?
The Footage seems to be really close to the project coloring but the Text (font) changes color alot more! Its Really really off when i play the video thew quick time and realplayer.. windows media player is the only one that gets really close to the project coloring. Also it seems i lose the tiniest bit of video quality!?

Process

-I set the project up with color management (SRGB) 16bit
-I used Canon t2i 1920/1080 camera ( I dont know the color management settings for my footage?)
-then pre-render..make sure color management is on SRGB (AVI) then render it
-put video into adobe encoder and render youtube setting with 5.1 level and Vbr-2pass

(using this video for youtube)

What am i doing wrong?!! please help me :(

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: Color Change And Quality Loss After Rendering In After Effects
on Sep 21, 2011 at 3:22:14 pm

Two screenshots -- full-res in AE, full-res compressed -- would be helpful. Can you post those for us?

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

jay Toss
on Sep 21, 2011 at 7:32:56 pm

This is uncompressed in after effects

And this is compressed (windows media is the player)

Return to posts index

jay Toss
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:24:33 pm

Any help please!!!!!!!! :(

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:31:49 pm

If you happen NOT to have AE CS5 or 5.5, and you use H.264-encoded footage straight out of that camera with no conversion, here's the most likely reason:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 22, 2011 at 7:36:10 pm

Here are some thoughts:

1. Highly-saturated colors often receive ill treatment from many codecs, which are designed to work with more "naturally-occurring" colors (flesh tones, earth tones, etc).

2. Different players will interpret colors differently. I rarely hear anyone praising WMP's ability to render color.

3. Different screens and OS's will interpret colors in different ways. So if you're uploading to youtube, getting it close is preferable to getting it exact. Maybe I'm a softy, but I think the color you're seeing is acceptable for youtube.

None of these are very satisfactory answers, I suppose. But I'm pretty sure this isn't about AE per se and more about codecs, filetypes, etc -- AE being a part of the pipeline but not the source of the assumed problem.

Ben Unguren

Return to posts index

jay Toss
on Sep 23, 2011 at 7:39:03 am

Thanks a lot for the reply guys!!

I Am using Adobe After Effects Cs5 so I think we can rule that out..
As for the footage. It came out of Canon t2i ( QuickTime mov.)

So i don't know what to say. maybe a different codec when i render out of adobe encoder?

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 23, 2011 at 12:01:24 pm

DIfferent codecs would be a good place to start. You'd also want to experiment with different bitrates.

Ben Unguren

Return to posts index

jay Toss
on Sep 23, 2011 at 7:55:12 pm

Thanks Ben. I think i will try some diffent codecs other then the h264. any suggestions on the next best thing for youtube? and the project was at 16bit.

One thing tho, I uploaded a small clip of the video on youtube to see what the color looks like. and it was almost EXACTLY like the project coloring!?? (It looks great!) and i uploaded from a different computer to! (not the one i made the project with) So could it just be the Windows player that's tricking me?

Return to posts index

Subhasis Mukherjee
on Mar 10, 2013 at 9:05:43 am

You have rightly pointed out the issue. Point no 2 has a great impact in change of color. I have three different screenshots.

1st one is the AECS Composition Window.
2nd is the H.264 conversion in AECS5.5 and Played in WMP
3rd is the H.264 conversion in AECS5.5 and Played in VLC

Now it may be clear to the novice shooters like me.

Return to posts index

Subhasis Mukherjee
on Mar 10, 2013 at 9:07:08 am

You have rightly pointed out the issue. Point no 2 has a great impact in change of color. I have three different screenshots.

1st one is the AECS Composition Window.
2nd is the H.264 conversion in AECS5.5 and Played in WMP
3rd is the H.264 conversion in AECS5.5 and Played in VLC

Now it may be clear to the novice shooters like me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]