ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to track a garbage matte

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas SizynskiHow to track a garbage matte
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:05:42 pm

I have a piece of color that I don't want to get keyed out. A hold-out matte is fine if the object isn't turning. In this case, that object is a humanoid figurine whose pose is turning in relation to the camera.

So what I was thinking of doing was busting up the composition into several different ones, each one composition based on a certain amount of that key color being exposed that I don't want keyed.

I've googled extensively, but I can't seem to find decent tutorials for setting up a Tracking Matte that follows the bit of key color I wish to preserve.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good track-matte tutorial?

An Artist interested in the past, stuck in the present.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to track a garbage matte
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:15:43 pm

It sounds like Mocha would do the job better than trying to animate a track matte. Imagineer Systems has a lot of tutorials on using Mocha for AE. There are a couple on the COW, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andreas SizynskiRe: How to track a garbage matte
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:57:31 pm

So what would I be trying to "do" within Mocha? I have the Mocha add-on, but what am I going for exactly? If not a track-matte, what?

An Artist interested in the past, stuck in the present.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: How to track a garbage matte
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 10:05:35 pm

You would be motion tracking the patch of color you wish to keep on a duplicated layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: How to track a garbage matte
by on Sep 21, 2011 at 2:55:52 am

I'm not quite following what the image you're working with looks like, but you might want to try the "calculations" filter. Look at your R, G, and B channels, and find the ones that offer the most contrast for the edges you're interested in, then use Calculations to enhance those contrasty edges. That plus a garbage matte can create some relatively nice mattes.....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]