ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Emergency AE Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale RobinsonEmergency AE Question
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:42:16 pm

I have an AE CS4 project that I need to pass off to someone who is still on a
Power PC using AE 7.

Is there anyway to get a CS4 project to AE 7 ?

Return to posts index

Darren GardnerRe: Emergency AE Question
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:47:02 pm

I'm afraid not. He'll have to upgrade.

All the best,
Darren

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Emergency AE Question
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:16:31 pm

actually he can't upgrade since he has a ppc mac, so he'll need to rebuild it.

if you can get ae7 on the same machine that has cs4, you can copy/paste effect settings and other property values between the two.

you still need to import the footage and such, create all the solids, nulls and other layers and add the same effects to them, but then you can select a layer in cs4, type 'uu' to reveal all the modified properties, select then and copy. then goto ae7, select the same ae7 layer and paste and it should bring in the same settings... provided the ae7 version of the effects have the same properties.

it's still pretty tedious.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Emergency AE Question
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:09:29 pm

I agree with Darren - upgrade is the only option. Before CS 5.5 there was no saving as a previous version and CS 5.5 only does that for CS 5.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dale RobinsonRe: Emergency AE Question
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:21:32 pm

Thank you. Can I install and run my AE 7 on my Intel Mac ?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Emergency AE Question
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:30:40 pm

See Kevins post _ yes you should be able to.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:42:32 pm

you'll need rosetta installed (apple's ppc emulator for intel macs).

it's standard for osx 10.4 - 10.5 (though i think you could choose to not install/uninstall it).

on 10.6 it's not installed by default but is on the os install discs.

it is not included with 10.7, and i'm not sure you could install a previous version... though you might find a hack on the web.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:50:25 pm

[Kevin Camp] "you'll need rosetta installed (apple's ppc emulator for intel macs)."

ooops, no you don't ae7 was both ppc and intel, so if you have the ae7 install disc, then you should be fine.

sorry about that.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2011 at 6:11:43 pm

Just got your post. Is the thought that I can load AE 7, open both versions and copy and paste timelines then reconnect footage in AE 7?

The timelines are interview footage with 2 camera cuts pasted from Premiere timeline so all layers, ins, outs & handles are there.

It seems my only other choice is to export the QT files and then split the clips in AE 7. There are other elements, solids, text, background .mov's all easily able to deal with.

The time element is the killer at this time. No progress and all of my CS4 preparation is shot. The freelancer & I did not communicate about AE versions I thought he was on an Intel Mac. My bad.

Onward & Upward

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:26:19 pm

you can't move the timelines or even layers between the two. you can copy/paste settings for effects and other properties (position, scale, etc.), but you can only copy/paste those values one layer at a time...

so you'll really be reconstructing the project in ae7, importing footage and other assets, creating new solids and even applying all the same effects.

but as you are putting things together in ae7, you can copy/paste pretty much any effect or transform settings from cs4 to ae7. and you can copy/paste multiple transform or effect properties at a time, they just have to be from a single layer....

ie, a layer could have fast blur, levels, glow and also a scale and position transform animation. select that layer, type 'uu' to reveal all edited settings, shift-click to select each of those revealed settings, then copy/paste them onto a layer in ae7 that has the same effects and then it should have all the same properties that it had in cs4.

like i said, it's still pretty tedious, but it can help make it a bit faster.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:53:56 pm

Thank you very much for all of your input. In considering everything I have decided to export out some elements and re-construct the project in AE 7 on my Power PC. The path of least resistance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]