ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

RAM Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darin GriffithRAM Question
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 12:17:28 pm

I run AE CS5 (as part of Production Premium) and just got a new Mac Pro workstation (5,1 Xeon quad core). The current configuration came with a paltry 3GB of RAM. I already ordered 4x4GB for 16GB but my question is this: is it better to run 12GB in triple channel or 16GB in dual channel? I've always heard that more RAM is better (especially with After Effects) but I wanted to hear some opinions.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: RAM Question
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:44:26 pm

I haven't seen any benchmark showing the difference. If you test it, would you be so kind as to share your results?

In a relatively limited RAM configuration like 12 GB for 4 cores, my hunch is that the extra 4 GB of RAM would outweigh the memory speed hit, but it's just a guess.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: RAM Question
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:06:42 pm

i haven't seen any real world benchmarks for ae (or any other software) that have shown a performance difference between triple channel vs dual channel, just some of the benchmark apps that fill ram over and over again.

here's an old benchmark page that does show a benchmark for a scenario that you have -- 12gb vs 16gb in a triple channel mac (towards the bottom of the page). the benchmark app shows a difference, but the author notes that he hasn't seen a difference in real world testing.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: RAM Question
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:23:00 pm

I found some tests a while back on this site:
that suggest that 3 modules can be better than 4, but they were more geared towards Photoshop than AE.

I don't know whether Apple mention it on their site or not, but some MacPro models will quite happily accept 8Gb memory modules, so 3x8 would give you 24Gb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved