ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What to add to band video to spruce it up?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly Lawer
What to add to band video to spruce it up?
on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:33:54 pm

Hi,

I've just filmed a live band, day light. Black background on a truck. Shots of crowd in car park. What effects can I add to spruce it up? I was going to colour grade it using colour, but wondered what else I can do to?

Kind regards,

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: What to add to band video to spruce it up?
on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:50:03 pm

I'd challenge the premise of the question -- that you can improve a shot by sprinkling effects on top. In my experience, adding effects just to make something look cooler only adds superficial visual interest; it doesn't augment the gestalt of the work. It may even work against you, leaving the viewers with an unsettled or disjointed feeling about what they've just seen.

Like anything else we do, effects should serve the story. What's the idea behind the music? What do you want the video to say? What feeling do you want to evoke?

Once you have a creative direction in mind, you can design effects to advance it.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:55:56 pm

Good questions!

Well, the i'm happy with the composure of the shots, although it was a low budget shot and I would of liked to of used a DOF adapter for some nice close up shots. But work with what I have I shall.

I want the end result to say 'highly polished and professional'. Unfortunately the 'sound man' they hired to capture the live recording failed to do just that - this only job, so we are relying on visuals and the sound my mics picked up.

I can make the image warmer and bring out the colour of their clothing in Color, but wondered if AE might add some magic too, without it detracting from the shoot in any way.

It's a 3 hour shoot, but it will only be 20 sec clips of each song melded together.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:14:19 pm

Olly, I think I have misunderstood you. "Effects" is a broad term, and I'm not sure I understood where you were going with the original question.

Do I understand correctly that what you're looking to do is create a single, stylized look for the final piece?

If so, I'm back to the original question: what feeling do you want to evoke? Should the project feel warm and soft? Or maybe it's cold and harsh? Maybe there's some inherent contrast between the two extremes within the same piece? Maybe it's none of the above. Maybe it's neutral and clean. Maybe it's sterile. Maybe it's grungy. Maybe it's organic.

We can help you achieve any of these looks and feels, but what you pursue has to be up to you. It's like trying to give directions to a driver when they don't know where they want to go.

Making a mood board [link] from some reference images might help you refine your vision for the finished work.

I hope this helps!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:16:55 pm

Thanks. Sorry should of explained better!

The end video will be used by the band to promote their work to venue's (mostly pubs) and for events (such as weddings), its so broad, that I want to play it safe and say professional, warm, slightly soft.

Open to ideas?

Thanks for the link, i'll check it out.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:51:49 pm

Like Walter said, the question is what you want it to look like- not vague ideas, but a well defined look that you can give examples of. There's quite a few things that you can do with AE, but not all will work to improve your piece. Post some links of videos you like (from YouTube or Vimeo), and then some clips of your footage. That will at least give us a starting point for feedback and ideas.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Olly Lawer
on Sep 30, 2011 at 7:36:32 am

Sorry for the delay.

I will have a look through some band video's to get some inspiration. Here is the video btw: http://www.oplproductions.com/Site/Tattood_Cow.html

Please don't mention the sound, it was taken by another company and quite frankly is poor!

The other thing I would like to do is to place a name graphic on screen, tracking the band players as they come on screen and move about. A futuristic font with a border round it made of white light, then a line from that to the band member with a bulb of white light at the end, centred somewhere on their clothing.Text would also be the same white/blue light.

Any idea's welcome! :)

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]