ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cylindrical distortion on 3d layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea MariniCylindrical distortion on 3d layer
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:57:42 pm

Hi,
sent a draft movie to a client where I'm generating some flying squares with particular. The squares are flying from the background straight in front of the camera. Their request is to give the "squares stream" a cylindrical shape exactly as in the reference image they sent me http://i56.tinypic.com/33nxa9z.jpg

Could anyone point me in the right direction? I'm experimenting with cc cylinder but actually I can't reproduce the same distortion. I've read also somewhere that could be done with zaxwerks 3dwarps but I don't have this plugin installed, and I can't buy it at the moment.

This seem a simple task at first sight, but I'm lost ;)

Thanks for your help,
Andy

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Cylindrical distortion on 3d layer
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 5:26:26 pm

you should be able to do this with particular and cc cylinder, however you will probably need to create a new particle system to get it to wrap correctly...

cc cylinder will take a 2d layer and wrap it horizontally around a cylinder, so to have particles that seem to move outward through the cylinder, the particle system will actually be very 2d with particles moving vertically (bottom to top, or top to bottom).

you'll then apply cc cylinder and rotate it so you are looking through the cylinder and it should then look like the particles are moving out ward from the center.

also, since you only want to see half the cylinder, you'll probably want to make you emitter a box emitter and get the settings so the particles only use the left half of the layer, so when it wraps you will only see left half of the cylinder.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Andrea MariniRe: Cylindrical distortion on 3d layer
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 5:36:14 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply Kevin!

I'll give it a try, right now and let you know.

Andy

Return to posts index

Andrea MariniRe: Cylindrical distortion on 3d layer
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:53:45 pm

Thanks Kevin! I got it! After 3 hours of tweaking XYZ between camera and cylinder I got pretty the same result as the client mockup.

thanks
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]