ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Text motion curves to left instead of straight

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff GerstText motion curves to left instead of straight
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:04:30 pm

Hi - I'm trying to do what I thought was a simple text move from super large centered to normal size centered to centered smaller, like it's popping onto the screen then fading backward.

I set a Position & Scale keyframe for really large, then set another keyframe a few frames later for normal centered, then a 3rd centered smaller a second later. But instead of going from 1st to 2nd keyframe then straight line to 3rd, it goes 1st to 2nd then a little wider right of 3rd, then at last minute curves to the left to get to the 3rd keyframe.

If I make 2 keyframes - just normal centered to smaller centered - it makes a straight path - but when I add the 1st keyframe to give the effect of it coming in huge then to normal centered position, it messes the path up -

I didn't put a 4th keyframe in asking it to curve to the left - what am I doing wrong?

Thx!

Return to posts index

Stefan HinzeRe: Text motion curves to left instead of straight
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 3:23:45 pm

Hey,

sounds like you have problems with the "vasie-handles"...
did you "easy ease" the keyframes?
try NOT to do so.

hope i got the problem right - translation ....

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Text motion curves to left instead of straight
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:24:52 pm

i think what you are describing is commonly called the 'boomerang effect' (there is a tutorial here that describes what's happening if you want more details).

one way to usually fix it is to select your keyframes in the timeline and choose animation>keyframe interpolation... and set spacial interpolation to linear.

you can also set ae to always use linear spacial interpolation for new keyframes in the ae general preference.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jeff GerstRe: Text motion curves to left instead of straight
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:31:50 pm

Thx- I'll check out the boomerang problem - that sounds like the issue.

I did try the interpolation but that didn't work. My poor man's solution (that worked!) was to split the text into 2 layers & do each move separately on a different layer. My fade back was then clean.

Thx for the input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]