ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Zooming in on newspaper effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rand courtneyZooming in on newspaper effect
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 1:45:06 pm

Hi there -

I have an effect that I am trying to accomplish and I am a little stuck.

I have an image of pavement. I have a separate image of a newspaper on top of that. Next to the lead story on the front page there is a box where an image would be that I have cut out. I have some video footage I would like to put in there, we have all seen the effect. The black and white image now becomes a full movie as we zoom in on the newspaper.

The problem I am having is matching the movement and scale of the expanding movie file to the empty box on my image of the newspaper as I "zoom in".

I know its something simple.

any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Zooming in on newspaper effect
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 4:41:16 pm

Well... I wouldn't say simple. It does require some work. If you performed the zoom "in-camera" (and we're talking zoom, not dolly), then you will need to track the footage and perform some sort of corner pin attatchment. Mocha AE will help you here, there is tons of tutorials online at the Mocha Website.

Or.. you could perform a digital zoom, where your footage is scaled down, parented, and composited on the newspaper, and you scale up the entire comp when the zoom in is to occur. Like I did here...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Zooming in on newspaper effect
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 5:01:05 pm

I see three options.

The first is parenting [link], as Chris described.

The second is precomposing [link] and collapsing transformations [link].

The third is to use 3D layers [link], which has the added advantage of allowing you to change perspective and add lighting effects.

If you're new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved