ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How to copy a filter from 1 layer to another w/o overwriting existing filters?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert GlannsHow to copy a filter from 1 layer to another w/o overwriting existing filters?
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 11:05:09 pm

I'm tearing my hair out with AE CS 5.5, where I have an instance of Colorista on layer 1, and another instance of Colorista on layer 2

All I want to do is copy the instance of Colorista on layer 1 and paste it onto layer 2, appending the layer 1 instance to whatever existing instance of Colorista is on layer 2.

But the default behavior of AE seems to be that it overwrites the settings existing instances of specific filters if you paste the same filter/plugin from another layer.

Is it possible to simply paste another instance of a copied filter onto another layer?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: How to copy a filter from 1 layer to another w/o overwriting existing filters?
by on Sep 17, 2011 at 1:23:55 am

Duplicate the filter so that the target layer has two instances. When copying/pasting over the new settings from another layer, ensure that you first select the second instance of the filter.

HTH
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Robert GlannsRe: How to copy a filter from 1 layer to another w/o overwriting existing filters?
by on Sep 17, 2011 at 1:38:28 am

Hmmm...I tried that, but it doesn't seem to work. All that happens is that the "selected" second instance gets overwritten with the attributes of the copied instance of the filter.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: How to copy a filter from 1 layer to another w/o overwriting existing filters?
by on Sep 17, 2011 at 1:43:38 am

[Robert Glanns] "All that happens is that the "selected" second instance gets overwritten with the attributes of the copied instance of the filter."

Hmmm, I thought this was what you wanted. It seems that what you want is to combine the settings from two instances of a filter into a single instance. This isn't possible without you using Expressions to pickwhip specific properties.

HTH
RoRK

Return to posts index

Robert GlannsRe: How to copy a filter from 1 layer to another w/o overwriting existing filters?
by on Sep 17, 2011 at 1:52:44 am

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "Hmmm, I thought this was what you wanted. It seems that what you want is to combine the settings from two instances of a filter into a single instance. "

Actually, no. What I want to be able to do is append another instance of an existing plugin via copy and paste. In other words, I want to leave the existing instance of Colorista untouched on the target layer, but _add_ another instance of Colorista to that same layer, via copy/paste from an instance of Colorista from _another_ layer.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 17, 2011 at 2:03:44 am

This is what you wrote in your initial post -
All I want to do is copy the instance of Colorista on layer 1 and paste it onto layer 2, appending the layer 1 instance to whatever existing instance of Colorista is on layer 2.

Start Scenario -
Layer 1 has Effect A
Layer 2 has Effect B

What you want is to copy Effect A onto Layer 2 such that the End Scenario is -
Layer 1 has Effect A
Layer 2 has Effect A & Effect B

If this is it then the technique I first alluded to should do the trick.

Cheers
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]