ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Cropping without centering

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary FrewinCropping without centering
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 1:25:14 pm

Hi all,

I've got a 57 layer psd which I would like to import into after effects. Each layer represents a cross section of a molecule, and so I am using AE to spread them evenly along the Z axis.

However, without cropping this really slow down my pc, but with cropping it centers all the layers relative to each other rather than cropping a layer and leaving it in place relative to the other.

Does this description make sense? Is there a way to crop a psd import and preserve the X-Y position of the layers relative to each other?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Cropping without centering
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 3:06:50 pm

Are you importing as a composition? Then opening that composition? It should work just fine with cropped layers. (Since you're saying "cropped" I'm assuming you're using a version of AE older than 10/CS5)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Gary FrewinRe: Cropping without centering
by on Sep 18, 2011 at 9:50:07 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. It helped me realize my mistake. I'll note it here for anyone looking in future. :)

I am using CS4, and simply importing the psd file to the project as 'composition - croppedlayers'.

My problem was that rather than opening the composition I imported, I was copying all the layers from the Project Panel into a new composition (this resulted in all the layers becoming centered).

What I needed to do was open the composition that was created by AE when I imported the PSD. In that composition, all the layers were aligned properly.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved