ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE 3D to Cinema4D and back

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachaloAE 3D to Cinema4D and back
by on Sep 15, 2011 at 11:35:10 pm

I have a simple logo reveal I'd like to animate in AE, basically rotating the logo. The logo is a simple 2d vector shape.
I want to do the 3d animation inside AE, then export this animation into C4D, where I will extrude and render the logo.
Then once rendered in C4D, bring it back into AE for further compositing or simply export as a high res final .mov.
Can anyone point me to good tutorials on this type of workflow?

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: AE 3D to Cinema4D and back
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 2:22:49 am

To the best of my knowledge, it's not possible to import animated vector graphics into Cinema 4D and then extrude, etc. You can import vector artwork (i.e., illustrator files) and extrude/animate the resulting splines in C4D, as you probably know, but there is no way to even export animated vector graphics from AE.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: AE 3D to Cinema4D and back
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 7:35:55 am

I think Steve is right - to my knowledge I do not think that workflow is possible.
My question is why do you want to do it that way when you have so many options in AE? ShapeShifter AE would be my first choice, followed by Zaxwerks Invigorator Pro.
You can use ShapeShifter with AE cameras and lights, and in combination with AE effects for a more complex and interesting reveal, all without going to a different software or interface. Perfect integration and a smooth workflow. Plus it's really fast as well.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE 3D to Cinema4D and back
by on Sep 16, 2011 at 12:57:07 pm

Your proposed workflow is not the "standard" C4D/AE workflow. Most artists start in C4D, then export to AE. You can export camera animation data as well as null object animation data from C4D to AE, and also render your 3D from C4D in multiple layers for further compositing as 2D layers in AE. It's important to remember that the C4D/AE integration is a clever way of linking two identical camera and scene setups; changing elements in AE without also making identical changes in C4D and re-rendering will break the consistency between the two systems and cause confusing perspective changes for the viewer.

While it's possible to animate camera and nulls in AE and export them to C4D (with Paul Tuersley's pt_AEtoC4D script [link]), I agree with Steve and Ted.

I think you'd be better off either animating your logo in C4D, then compositing and finishing in AE, or by keeping the work entirely within AE by using ShapeShifter or Invigorator Pro.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved