ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Getting the Best out of Mulit Processing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raine VivianGetting the Best out of Mulit Processing
by on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:40:11 pm

So I recently got a new laptop (an Asus G74sx) which has a quad i7 core, and currently 8 gigs of RAM.

Every time turn on the multi-frame processing, after effects (CS5.5) seems to have a really read time with it. Most of the time I just have to turn it off. Any suggestions on settings? (for some reason it says I have 8 cores installed) Here is what I have it set to now:

CPU's reserved for other applications: 1
RAM allocation per background CPU: 2GB
Actual CPU that will be used: 2

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

-Raine Vivian

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Getting the Best out of Mulit Processing
by on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:46:52 pm

Your i7 has a feature called hyperthreading, which creates 2 virtual cores for each physical core in your machine.

AE needs a lot of RAM for multiprocessing. Each render instance (number of CPUs/cores used) requires its own, and I still use 2-4 GB per core as my rule of thumb, plus a decent amount of RAM for system overhead. If you don't have enough RAM, multiprocessing will actually render slower than non-multiprocessing.

To use 4 cores, I'd recommend having 16 GB of RAM.

If you can add RAM to your machine, that will improve your multiprocessing significantly. If not, you should probably leave it off.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Getting the Best out of Mulit Processing
by on Sep 15, 2011 at 8:32:09 pm

I'm with Walter, you're on the edge of being able to use Multi Processing. You will have to try a bit of tweaking to see if you can get it to work. Perhaps this post will give you some ideas on where to start. [Link] Don't forget to check the thread linked in it. Tons of people with various setups posting their findings.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Raine VivianRe: Getting the Best out of Mulit Processing
by on Sep 15, 2011 at 9:42:26 pm

Yeah, I was thinking about upgrading to 16 gigs. Okay great, thank you guy for your input. I really appreciate it. I'll try and remember to update this post when I get more Ram. Thanks again.

-Raine Vivian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved