ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

GoPro to FCP to AE then bad render.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Car LemonGoPro to FCP to AE then bad render.
by on Sep 14, 2011 at 9:47:00 pm

On my 2008 MacBook Pro. Shot video on GoPro, turned it into m-peg 4 for FCP. Then made that into a quicktime movie. Then sent it to AE CS5. Did some cool rotobrushing with some refine motion. Looked great in playback, but after the render (back into a quicktime movie) looks awful. The motion blur keeps spreading out too far. Is it a frame rate problem? How do I fix that? Or maybe something else. Would love a little feedback. Thanks for your time.
Carl Lemon

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: GoPro to FCP to AE then bad render.
by on Sep 14, 2011 at 9:58:03 pm

[Car Lemon] "On my 2008 MacBook Pro. Shot video on GoPro, turned it into m-peg 4 for FCP."

Bad idea. Extremely bad idea. Horrible idea.

Mp4 isn't a valid media container for FCP editing. It could be the root of your problems. You should have transcoded to Quicktime ProRes 422 instead.

[Car Lemon] "Then made that into a quicktime movie."

Uh-huh. That's nice.

What was the CODEC of that quicktime movie? QT's a media container. It's like a glass. You can put milk in a glass. You can put ginger ale in a glass. You can put gasoline in a glass. Now blindfold yourself, pinch your nose, and take a good swig -- there's a 2 out of 3 chance you won't poison yourself.

Until we know the codec -- PLUS the AE version you're running -- we can't give you a straight answer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Car LemonRe: GoPro to FCP to AE then bad render.
by on Sep 14, 2011 at 10:06:34 pm

Sorry, I'm at work and away from my MacBook Pro. The program to convert the GoPro is called Mpeg something-something, but I did use the Quicktime ProRes 422 to convert it. (Following GoPro's advice for FCP.) My version of AE is CS5, not CS5.5
I'm not very knowledgeable about Codecs, but am willing to learn.
Thanks,
Carl Lemon

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: GoPro to FCP to AE then bad render.
by on Sep 15, 2011 at 10:18:15 am

Guys, don't forget that the COW has a GoPro Forum - http://forums.creativecow.net/gopro

Cheers
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: GoPro to FCP to AE then bad render.
by on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:19:38 pm

Hmmm... I didn't know there was a GoPro forum. Thanks, Roland!

[Car Lemon] "...The program to convert the GoPro is called Mpeg something-something, but I did use the Quicktime ProRes 422 to convert it. (Following GoPro's advice for FCP.) My version of AE is CS5, not CS5.5..."

I'll bet it's called MPEG Streamclip. If you run FCP 6 or above, you can use MPEG Streamclip to make Quicktime Movies (not mp4s) in the ProRes 422 codec. You can then export a self-contained Quicktime movie for use in AE. Life should be good.

I'm sure those GoPro forum folks deal with going to FCP all the time, so take their advice on the proper conversion process, not mine.

As long as you have a fully-updated version of AE 10 (it's free to update), you'll be fine.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]