ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Best workflow for time remapping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott SilviaBest workflow for time remapping
by on Sep 14, 2011 at 9:20:44 pm

I am using a Canon 60D to shoot mainly music videos and some action sports shots. What is the best way to achieve the smoothest realtime to slow motion effet. Should I shoot at 60fps, 30fps, or 24fps to achieve the shot that begins at 2:47 of this video:

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Best workflow for time remapping
by on Sep 15, 2011 at 1:03:27 am

If you want slo-mo you need to shoot at the highest frame rate possible -- so if 60 is the highest you have, then 60 is what you should take....

If you're editing at 24fps, then you will be able to slow your footage down to about 40% of real-time, all the while having a specific image to provide for each frame of the movie.

If you learn how to use Timewarp, you could slow down your video to 20% of real time (the filter would morph/generate every other frame). For some shots, you can slow it down even more, but the slower you get, the more Timewarp needs to be customized and tweaked to produce satisfactory results....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Best workflow for time remapping
by on Sep 15, 2011 at 12:57:58 pm

I agree with Ben.

If you shoot at 60fps and deliver at 23.976, you can simply re-interpret [link] the original 60fps footage at 23.976 for an instant and perfect 40% slowdown.

For particularly challenging slow motion shots, I like Twixtor Pro. It offers object separation through multiple mattes, and manual point and spline guidance.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Scott SilviaRe: Best workflow for time remapping
by on Sep 21, 2011 at 8:42:28 am

Are the shots, in the video I posted, that go from real-time to slow mo and back to real time in 24fps or 60fps?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved