ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

kind of anchor point for the particles in particular?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc De Costerkind of anchor point for the particles in particular?
by on Sep 14, 2011 at 2:27:05 pm

Hi guys.

Here is my new tricky thing ...

I should make a dandelion with it's "pappus" fixed to the stem and then the particles should fly away, blowed by someone.

I isolated one nice "pappus" to use it as a source in Particular. My problem is that these "pappus" are not symetric. There is top and a bottom, like a foot and a head. So, first of all I should have it's "foot" fixed to the stem and it's head in the air, and secondly they should be divided all around the stem with the foot as an "anchor point"
And here is my problem. I can't find a way to divide them in a sphere with the feet near the center and the heads on the outside. I can create a sphere emitter, I can add a spherical field in the physics, I can make a rotation in Z and random it but I can't say "ok, make the particule turn 360 degree with no random, the 1st at zero degree, the second at 5 degrees, the 3rd at 10, etc ..."

Any ideas?

Thanx a lot

Marc

Do you know if there is a way to manage that with particular

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: kind of anchor point for the particles in particular?
by on Sep 14, 2011 at 3:29:20 pm

This is probably somewhat easier in a 3D app than a 2D app, but I'll give it a go. For simplicity, I'll first describe how to do it in 2D, then I'll suggest how to make work in 3D.

Use Particular's Motion Path feature. Create a light, name it Motion Path 1, and animate it in a circle. In Particular, set Emitter > Emitter type to Point, set Particle > Orient to Motion to On (and make sure that Life is set to a high value), then set Physics > Air > Motion Path to 1.

Once the light has completed its circle, your "setup" should be complete, so you can stop the emitter. The pappi should be arranged around the circle, and you can now affect them with Particular's fields and winds.

To make it 3D, instead of animating the light in a flat circle, animate it over the sphere in a series of loops in AE's 3D space.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: kind of anchor point for the particles in particular?
by on Sep 14, 2011 at 8:45:39 pm

Hey Walter, I found his question over on the VCP forums earlier today and - when I had a minute - I threw together a test project. It uses the idea of a motion path, but differs somewhat from your suggestion. I think it still does what he wants. Have a look and tell me what you think.

[Link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 14, 2011 at 9:06:36 pm

Nice!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Marc De CosterRe: kind of anchor point for the particles in particular?
by on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:54:21 am

Thanx a lot to both of you. Funny to see how people use so many different techniques. I live in Belgium, I didn't want to wait for you to wake up (not that I mean you're lazy guys, I'm talking about the time zone!) so I tried something by my side and I made a quite good test using other parameters. I made a comp with the seed rotating 360 degrees. Then I used it as a source in particular with a random still frame in the time sampling.
I put the particles velocity to zero and I animated them with some wind and a big position change of the spherical turbulence field:

Here's the link

Anyway, I've just tried the walter solution and I think that it's the one I'm gonna use. The way the seeds are divided is really nice.

Thank U very much

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:38:59 pm

[Marc De Coster] "I made a comp with the seed rotating 360 degrees. Then I used it as a source in particular with a random still frame in the time sampling. I put the particles velocity to zero and I animated them with some wind and a big position change of the spherical turbulence field:"

That's a really elegant approach, too. Your comp looks very nice!

[Marc De Coster] "Funny to see how people use so many different techniques."

That's one of the things I love about this work and these forums -- there are so many different approaches to these problems, and each approach has different strengths and weaknesses. I love the exposure to this diversity of thought.

I'm glad to hear you found a solution that works well for you.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]