ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Break Apart Transition between stills

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David SeayBreak Apart Transition between stills
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:08:13 pm

Effects help please!!!! Here is a short description of what I am trying to do:

I want to transition between stills by having each picture break up into multiple geometric pieces. Each of those pieces rotates 45 degrees and changes shapes while rotating to perfectly fit together and build the 2nd image.

See 3 screen grabs from a feeble attempt using animated masks. Way to labor there an expression that could do this effect? Can After Effects even do this?

Thanks Dave Seay

TV- It's why Kennedy beat Nixon
david seay

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Break Apart Transition between stills
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:49:24 pm

There isn't anything in AE that will do that automatically, or easily. I'd say it would be very difficult, because AE isn't a true 3D application.

People more skilled that I in 3D may offer up a solution, but I wouldn't want to try what you want to do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Break Apart Transition between stills
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 3:00:38 pm

I can't think of any way to do this that isn't going to be tedious. The issue comes with you wanting the pieces to change shape, then come back together.
You'd want to do it on a precomp so that you can change the images without having to go through many layers to fix them all in case you need to adjust the images used.

There may be a script out there that makes a bunch of random masks on a layer, but adapting that into a way of making each piece's shape shift? Not that I can think of.

Okay, here's my idea.

Make the first mask shapes you want to use on your precomp.
Duplicate the precomp as many times as you have pieces.
On each layer, delete all the masks but one until you have each layer being only one piece.
Move the anchor point for each piece to the center of the masked shape (or wherever you want the rotation to be centered.
Make all the layers 3d and tie the rotation parameters all to a controller layer's rotation parameters.
Keyframe the rotation for each transition.
Then put keyframes for mask shape on the beginning of a transition point for each piece, go to the end of the transition point and change each mask to be the new shapes you want.

Repeat that last step for as many transitions as you have.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

David SeayRe: Break Apart Transition between stills
by on Oct 4, 2011 at 6:29:57 pm

Finally had a few minutes to get back to this. It s o r t a worked. I think will be better with more refinement of the masks; motion; etc...but it's in the ball park.

Check out the link

TV- It's why Kennedy beat Nixon
david seay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved