ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Strobing Effect on LED wheel based lights.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Elphick
Strobing Effect on LED wheel based lights.
on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:24:12 pm

Hi Guys,

I am attempting to film monkey lectric lights (http://www.monkeylectric.com/) for an upcoming project on a CANON 5dII.

To the naked eye the lights make up a continuous block of color, but when I film it on the camera there are gaps in sections of the light.

I know this comes down to frame rates - I tested it at 25p - but I cant for the life of me find advice on the best frame rate to use and I wont have another chance to test with the lights before production. Also, the frame rate of the LED lights themselves can be changed as a matter of fractions of a second - the test was 0.03 seconds per frame or 1/300th of a second per frame. Is it better to change this instead/as well?

Please help!

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Strobing Effect on LED wheel based lights.
on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:03:26 pm

You might consider a lower shutter speed.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:05:32 pm

You'll very likely get better mileage with your Q in the COW's dedicated Canon forums.

Good Luck
RoRK

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2011 at 5:57:49 pm

Roland's right; ask in one of the DSLR forums. That light gizmo is meant to fool the human eye, but a camera is a crap shoot.

There are a BUNCH of variables involved: the RPMs of the bike wheels, frame rate, shutter speed... getting it right may be lot tougher than you anticipated.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]