ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Atmospherics for an Outdoors Music Arena

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Leonardi
Atmospherics for an Outdoors Music Arena
on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:17:09 am

Hey Guys - I have been advised it would be best to repost this as a different discussion, so here goes!

we are designing an urban space that will facilitate concerts outside etc.. the animation is the object with a 3d animated crowed jumping, clapping etc.. I have some 3D spot lights that are "sweeping" over the crowd. whilst the 3D CAM is doing a 360 over the space (bopping up and down gently / smoothly).

What I want to do now is add some sort of coloured lighting to these spot lights, and to give some atmosphere, as at the moment it looks to fresh, with no fog / cloud / beams of light. can anyone point me to a tutorial or ideas of where I should go to sort this? I've played with LUX before and it's good, but I don't know how I would track the spot light with two points, is this possible? (One point for the fixed hinge, and the other for the target spot light).

I've also added fireworks into the animation, they look pretty good if I do say so my self, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest how I blend them better into the animation, how would one simulate "colour bleed" of light on to other objects to make it look like the fireworks aren't just pasted on.

Cheers
guys
Adam

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Atmospherics for an Outdoors Music Arena
on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:01:01 pm

Lux does all the tracking for you. It just adds volumetrics to AE's lights.

As for the addition of lighting try this tutorial: [link]

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:44:29 pm

[Michael Szalapski] " Lux does all the tracking for you. It just adds volumetrics to AE's lights."

Yup, Lux is pretty much amazing.

I will often apply a Fractal Noise effect after Lux to add a bit of a foggy look to the volumetric lighting. You can change the blend mode of the Fractal Noise effect to something like Multiply, enable Perspective Offset and animate the Offset Turbulence to create a cool traveling fog look.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 13, 2011 at 5:46:04 pm

[Adam Leonardi] "I have some 3D spot lights that are "sweeping" over the crowd... What I want to do now is add some sort of coloured lighting to these spot lights"

The light coming from your light layers doesn't have to be white only. It can be colored. Click on a light layer's color swatch, pick a color and it's changed. You'll probably need to change the light intensity, but that's no big deal.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Leonardi
on Sep 19, 2011 at 9:14:19 am

Thanks for the input guys - I will use Lux, the only problem i'm trying to work out is I have rendered spot lights, these lights are also moving back and forth. so along with that motion, the camera is moving around this. So my question I put to you guys is this,

what is the best way to track these spot lights (rendered spot lights) and tracking them with a AAE light. I was thinking I could render out a pass, the light sources being one colour (only about 50mm in diameter) and then render out some "dummys" on to the light targets, so I would make it easier for the after effects tracking to kick in, would this work? - is there a faster way? lol.

Return to posts index

Adam Leonardi
on Sep 19, 2011 at 10:36:57 am

Something like the attached Image? I'll render out the sequence, shouldn't take long, then I can use the tracker for the AAE lights to stick.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 19, 2011 at 1:16:46 pm

Ohhhhh, these lights are actually in a video file rendered by a 3d app? I think all of us were thinking you'd built this all in AE. That makes a huge difference.
What program did you use to make this animation? If C4D, I'm going to have some great news for you. If something else, it will be a bit trickier.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Adam Leonardi
on Sep 19, 2011 at 1:20:49 pm

Yea sorry I should have been more clear.

Yes I've rendered it out using 3DSMAX & Vray, I've rendered out a pass now showing the spotlight position and the spot light target, so I can easily "track" in AAE, I've experimented with this idea and I think it'll work!

I've also added the noise to the LUX and it looks much better :-)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:32:08 pm

There are scripts out there that let you pass 3ds Max info to AE. I know it includes camera movement, it may include light position as well.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]