ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating bloom in post to match rendered bloom?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fredrik Lagnetoft
Creating bloom in post to match rendered bloom?
on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:43:06 am

Hey guys!

I've attached two renders, they're all out of focus since I just want the lights' bokeh. I then added some bloom in the renderer, which worked great. Then I thought that perhaps this bloom will be possible to create in post (After Effects in my case), but I tried and honestly don't know how.

Can you guys point me in the right direction? Is it possible to create a smooth bloom from a linear workflow render? Like, make it bloom everything that's above 1.0 white.

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Anders Hattne
Re: Creating bloom in post to match rendered bloom?
on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:51:19 am

There's no files attached, but if I understand you right, fast blur and levels (in that order) should create a bloom effect.

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

Fredrik Lagnetoft
on Sep 13, 2011 at 9:54:14 am

Oh, sorry. Let's try again. :)

No bloom:

Bloom:

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:20:54 pm

Try the Glow filter. The threshold parameter will set the level above which the glow is applied. Also, try Glow with a higher color depth (option-click on the 8 at the bottom of the project window to toggle between 8bit, 16bit, and 32bit color) -- you'll get wildly different results with different depths.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Sep 13, 2011 at 7:08:59 pm

Set up AE to use 32bpc and a linear working color profile. You should be able to achieve this with a duplicate of your footage.

First set your duplicate to the 'Add' blend mode. Then apply Levels to the duplicate and make sure to set Clip To Output Black to "On." Add a "Fast Blur" with Repeat Edge Pixels enabled and increase the Blur Radius. You can use the Blur effect combined with the Levels effect to change the appearance of the bloom.

Increase the Input Black level to remove the darker areas from contributing to the Bloom at all or decrese the Input White level to make the Bloom more intense.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Fredrik Lagnetoft
on Sep 16, 2011 at 10:52:02 am

Incredible! Works like a charm. The only thing I had to add was a Tint effect after the blur to get the "warm" bloom. Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]