ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Clone Stamp problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eski eskesenClone Stamp problems
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:47:57 am

Hey there.

I have googled a lot for this and couldn't find anything about it.
Anyway I'm trying to clone stamp a little "island" out of some footage. You can see it here.

There is a lot of motion in the footage.

I'm having a little fun with this footage and bringing down some metiers to hit the island so it basically explodes and disappears completely from the frame.

I have found a hell of a lot of tutorials how to do this if it were a still photo or shot on a tripod. I can't find a way to make the clone stamps stick to a tracked point, I'm tracking the red ball there.

I have usually about 80 strokes when I have finished clone stamping it so it actually looks good.

Any thoughts ?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Clone Stamp problems
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 7:33:19 am

> I can't find a way to make the clone stamps stick to a tracked point

This video from the After Effects CS5: Learn By Video series shows how to combine motion tracking and the Clone Stamp tool.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

eski eskesenRe: Clone Stamp problems
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:41:56 am

Thanks for the answer.
I actually saw this one, but there he is only tracking one clone stamp brush. I have over 90 brush strokes that move around. If i copy the track point to each one like he does there they would all end at the exact same point.

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Clone Stamp problems
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 1:26:46 pm

If it's a static shake (if the camera itself isn't changing it's position while filming) then you might just want to stabilize the original shot, do your painting, then reintroduce the shake afterwards....

Not sure if this meets your needs, but I've successfully used Mocha for removing things from moving objects (like a collar on an animal): you can track a surface and export corner-point tracking data, to which you can apply a "filler" image. This filler will "stick" to the scene (more or less) and then you can use a matte (also made w/Mocha) to define where the filler will be visible.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Clone Stamp problems
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:01:44 pm

Rule #1 when Tracking with the Clone Tool in AE is to use the least number of Clone Brush Strokes.

The Background Logic:
1) When cloning without tracking, you will require only two points of reference: the source clone and target area points
2) When tracking, you will require just a single point.
3) When cloning with the aid of a tracker, you often require THREE points of reference. These are the tracking point, clone source point and clone target area. This is assuming that the clone source point and clone target area are not ideal sources for tracking - this is commonly the case when cloning with the aid of tracking data.

Therefore, what you will need to do is to acquire the tracking data. Once acquired, you will then need to offset this value twice, once for the clone source and the other for the clone target area.

What I normally do is create a Null and apply the Expression Point Expression Control effect, twice - one for each of the two clone points. After applying the Point Expression Control effects, rename them appropriately - such as "Brush01_SrcOffset" and "Brush01_TgtOffset".

Perform your track but instead of the normal track, conduct an offset track. To do this, move all three tracking features to the red ball, as per normal. Now select the Attach Point and move it to a location where you would like the clone source to be. Complete the track. Take note that you do not need to Apply the tracking data. Hence a Raw Track would be ideally set up from the onset.

When applying the Clone Tool, ensure that the Timeline Indicator is at the point in time where you want the cloning to begin. Set the brush and paint palettes' settings to suit your needs. Remember Rule #1 and start with the first Clone Brush Stroke. Before continuing with other required clone strokes, it is a good idea to test out the entire workflow, incorporating the tracking data and offset properties.

Create an Expression to link the brush stroke's Clone Source position to the Attach Point of the Tracking Data. At the end of the Expression, add the following +thisComp.layer("Null01").effect("Point Control")("Brush01_SrcOffset")

The entire expression will read as follows -
motionTracker("Tracker 1")("Track Point 1").attachPoint+thisComp.layer("Null01").effect("Point Control")("Brush01_SrcOffset")

Of course your layer names may differ but I hope that you're following the logic here.

FOr the Clone Target area, which isn't trackable, we can use the tracking information from either the Attach Point or Feature Centre and then offset the value.

Supposing that you want to use the Feature Center, you will create an Expression for the Clone Target property. The final expression script will look as follows -
motionTracker("Tracker 1")("Track Point 1").featureCenter+thisComp.layer("Null 4").effect("Point Control")("Brush01_TgtOffset")

Take note that the Clone Target property is found in the Timeline, within the Transform: Clone #number# area. It's not named in a 'friendly' manner.

It's definitely a lot easier to set up than to write it down so hopefully you'll be off and running once you've understood the approach in a logical manner. It's all about knowing what information you have that is useable, how to get additional information that you need and how to finesse the acquired and/or source data to achieve your final result.

Intensive AE & Mocha Training in Asia.

Return to posts index

ewa sternRe: Clone Stamp problems
by on Oct 31, 2013 at 2:09:33 pm

I'm brand new to After Effects and already struggling with a weird problem.
I'm trying to get rid of a flashing red light of a 2nd camera in my footage, it comes up every couple of seconds for 4 frames. So I set the Clone tool to Custom, set the duration to 4 frames and since I want to clone in time set the source time shift -6 frames to be on the safe side.
For some reason the clone tool works only one or two frames and then the red light comes up again ;((((
Then I close start the whole project from the beginning and now the duration works but my brush is always square and covers only right lower quarter of the light.
I'm completely clueless why. What do I do wrong?

thanks a lot for your help!

ewa stern

ewa stern

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Clone Stamp problems
by on Oct 31, 2013 at 2:30:46 pm

Ewa, you've already posted this question on its own thread. There's no need to post again on someone else's thread.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

ewa sternRe: Clone Stamp problems
by on Oct 31, 2013 at 2:35:26 pm

I'm sorry, I'm new to forums as such. Do not know the etiquette. Someone told me that normally it takes up to 3 hrs to get a reply and since I didn't, I thought I'll try to find people that might know an answer to my problem.
sorry again

ewa stern

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved