ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

I want to build a render workstation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Smith LeesonnI want to build a render workstation
by on Sep 12, 2011 at 11:35:44 pm

Hello, I am new to the site and new to AE. When I search for AE related topics on the web I mostly find my answers from this site which is great. I want to build a beefed up PC to render my AE files. For now i'm only doing picture slide shows w/ AE templates. I understand AE does multiprocessing and if you have like a quad core processor you can use up to all processors to render the files. So I'm thinking of getting 2, 6 core processors, 32GB of ram and alot of HDD space w/ windows 7 pro 64 bit. My question is will AE make use of the 6 core processors or is there a limit. Don't want to spend the money if it won't use them. Also I will have multiple HDDs so would adding them to a RAID array improve processing time?

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: I want to build a render workstation
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 2:31:51 am

After Effects can use all of your multiple cores, but you will get the most benefit if you have as much RAM as you can afford/fit in your machine.

As for multiple machines, I think you need 3rd party software to setup a "render farm" with After Effects? I could be wrong - I do recall reading about running render instances of AE on different machines, but I'll leave that to someone who knows something about it.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: I want to build a render workstation
by on Sep 13, 2011 at 6:28:25 am

Here is a good place to start when considering what computer and components to buy.

This page is a good place to start for overall After Effects performance information.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved