ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5.5 AE Hangs now on Start up - Video Driver install only sometimes fixes it

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Dobson
CS5.5 AE Hangs now on Start up - Video Driver install only sometimes fixes it
on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:07:12 pm

Everything worked fine till this last weekend. Then suddenly AE5.5 (and 5) won't start up. I tried to restore a previous version of windows cause I noted there had been a download over the weekend, but the restore function failed! So I tried windows repair and it wasn't broken. Then I uninstalled and then re-installed the entire Production Premium. And still AE and Photoshop 64-bit wouldn't start. PPro and a few others ran fine. Finally I updated the Video driver and it started again. Yay. then the next morning AE won't start. Installed the driver and again and it worked. The next day it worked. then that evening it wouldn't start. The driver install didn't help this time. The next morning, still not starting so I removed my Infinity Pro card. Adn then AE works. Yay. Then the next morning it won;t start and the driver installs don;t work and no card left to remove that might be a problem.

In the Event viewer, it just says Application Hang: Error: 1002. And something about The program has stopped responding to windows. So I am not even sure the Video Driver / Card had anything to do with it. Does AE and PhotoShop make special requests of the video card? It feels like a hardware problem, except the Video Card works fine for everything else (except starcraft tends to cause it to turn off and crash....)

Any thoughts? Any similar experiences out there. This is very frustrating and I need to get this working soon.

The Video card is nVidia GTX 285 and I have the 280 drivers installed. I am running the most updated version of CS5.5.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: CS5.5 AE Hangs now on Start up - Video Driver install only sometimes fixes it
on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:13:35 pm

Sorry, but you'll probably have to uninstall, CLEAN, then reinstall. What's this "clean" business? Uninstalling CS5 or 5.5 isn't really complete until you run the cleaner tool:
http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Dobson
Re: CS5.5 AE Hangs now on Start up - Video Driver install only sometimes fixes it
on Sep 12, 2011 at 7:14:55 pm

I'll try that now ....

Return to posts index

David Dobson
on Sep 12, 2011 at 9:20:03 pm

Nope. That didn't help either. And I notice that the Cleaner didn't remove the updates, so the new install needs no updates. Not sure what that means, but it does mean that I didn't re-install any updates.

Return to posts index

David Dobson
on Sep 12, 2011 at 9:35:41 pm

So I restarted and still no AE.
Then I shut down and turned off the power for 20 seconds.
Now AE is running again.

Feels like hardware.

Return to posts index

David Dobson
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:12:37 pm

3 Days later. I haven't turned off the computer once and AE is still working fine. Will shutdown after the current project ends and see what happens. Have ordered a new Video Card (GTX 570) and hope to never have this problem again.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:37:14 pm

Glad to hear it's working for you!

Here's a question before you get a new card: do you happen to run Premiere Pro as well as AE? Getting an NVidia card with Cuda acceleration can work wonders for Premiere (as long as it's from the list of Premiere-approved NVidia cards).

There really isn't a hot card that helps AE. Lots of fast processor and lots of memory help AE more than anything else. But if you're a heavy Premiere user, it could be worth getting.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Dobson
on Sep 15, 2011 at 3:46:07 pm

I use Premiere mostly, and a MPE approved CUDA card makes a huge difference. My current GTX 285 is on the list, but it's a very old card and I got it used and I've had other issues that might be related to some intermittent hardware failure on it.

What I am curious to know is what does AE and Photoshop look for from the Video card on startup that PPro and the rest of the Production Suite don't? Or is OpenGL making some call to the Video card that is suddenly not being returned?

I've tried everything software I can think of (except I can't restore to a previous version of windows) so I hope that advancing the technology of the video card fixes it. If I get the AE crash with the new card, I will have to think about creating a new start up drive and re-installing everything. And I'll call Adobe.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 15, 2011 at 4:18:21 pm

I don't know about Photoshop, but AE only supports a subset of Open GL's instruction set.
That makes it extremely tough to be successful rendering an AE comp of even moderate complexity.
That's why you sometimes get unexpected results when rendering with Open GL.
That's why Adobe employees don't use Open GL when they render in AE.

Previewing? Different story. Open GL can help.

A mere handful of third-party plugin developers have created software to take advantage of Open GL. But I don't know if I'd put other effects into the mix if I used those third-party plugins! Talk about your crap shoots....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

David Dobson
on Sep 16, 2011 at 5:29:19 am

well - I did have to restart the computer today and sure enough, AE won't start again. Application Hang. Event Log says it has stopped interacting with Windows. Arggh. It looks different though, for whatever that's worth.

Return to posts index

David Dobson
on Sep 16, 2011 at 8:20:30 pm

So I installed a brand new GTX 570 card and AE still won't run.
Going to have to re-install windows now I think -- yay - that'll take all day.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]