ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Create a motion path from a Pen Tool shape

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike jonesCreate a motion path from a Pen Tool shape
by on Sep 11, 2011 at 2:16:56 pm

I am really struggling.

I wanted to create a perfect circle motion path so that my square went round in a circle, so I use the Ellipse tool using a modifier key ( as referenced here http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/202/891417 ) and that key is Alt. This creates a circle vector Path and not a parametric shape.

So, I copy the vector shape (I've even tried this using a standard pen tool shape), went to the layer I want to be moving - click on the stop watch icon in the position track to create a key frame and then CTRL+V to paste the shape.

This doesn't work. It instead pasts the layer as a separate one above the one I wanted, totally separate and display this duplicate.

Can someone outline the points clearly? I would even Paypal you money, I'm that desperate and frustrated.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Create a motion path from a Pen Tool shape
by on Sep 11, 2011 at 3:00:08 pm

[mike jones] "This creates a circle vector Path and not a parametric shape.
"

If you are indeed using the tool to create a mask and not a Shape layer, then you must select the Mask Path property and copy that, then paste it to the position property of the layer you want to animate.

Return to posts index

mike jonesRe: Create a motion path from a Pen Tool shape
by on Sep 11, 2011 at 3:03:52 pm

Yeah I just found that out now. I followed this tutorial:

There was a couple other things I was doing 'wrong' as well.

I assumed that when you create a new rectangle tool, it was the same as a 'New Solid'.

I also didn't cut the actual Mask Path.

Return to posts index

niccolo ungaroRe: Create a motion path from a Pen Tool shape
by on Sep 11, 2011 at 6:55:53 pm

Here is a nice tutorial :
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-copy-masks-paste-them-as-keyframes-after-...
...hope that could help.
r
Regards Nic

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Create a motion path from a Pen Tool shape
by on Dec 14, 2013 at 6:52:56 pm

The After Effects CC (12.2) update makes creating a Bezier path for a shape easier and more discoverable.

option for creating shape layers based on Bezier paths:

When a shape tool (Rectangle, Rounded Rectangle, Polygon, Star, or Ellipse tool) is active, you can use the new Bezier Path option in the Tools panel to create a new shape based on a Bezier path, as opposed to the default of creating a new shape based on a parametric path. Holding the Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS) key while drawing a shape causes the opposite behavior—i.e., if the Bezier Path option is enabled, holding the Alt or Option key causes the shape tool to create a parametric path; if the Bezier Path option is disabled, holding the Alt or Option key causes the shape tool to create a Bezier path.

command for converting a parametric shape layer path to a Bezier path:

You can convert a parametric path to a Bezier path after the parametric path has already been created by context-clicking (right-clicking or Control-clicking on Mac OS) the property group for the parametric path (e.g., Rectangle Path 1) and choosing the Convert To Bezier Path command from the context menu. If the parametric path is animated (keyframed), the converted Bezier path is a static path based on the parametric path at the current time; keyframes are lost.

IMPORTANT: When you use the Convert To Bezier Path command to convert a parametric shape path to a Bezier shape path, the Bezier path that is created does not animate well (i.e., interpolation between paths behaves strangely and unpredictably). This is related to path direction and how transformations are stored. For now, you should not use these converted paths for animated paths (interpolation between paths); but, if you do want to try, you may be able to work around the issues by reversing the path before conversion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]