ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Missing waveform on imported footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James HarrisonMissing waveform on imported footage
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 10:09:08 am

Hello

Firstly, I'm pretty savvy when it comes to playback of audio in AE's timeline, so I know what's what with RAM Preview options, spacebar, '0" key, "Period" key options etc.

What has stumped me is a DV PAL 48kHz 16 bit stereo movie file plays back audio fine in AE3's preview option but once imported into the timeline the waveform flatlines and no audio is heard. Video, however, plays without a problem. I've tried several files (created in FCP 5) and the same problem ensues).

This hasn't been a problem before, so I assume some dreaded update by Apple has killed the waveform/audio in AE.

Anyone else experienced this?

Anyone have a solution?

All useful responses gratefully received.

Regards

James

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Missing waveform on imported footage
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:03:56 pm

[James Harrison] "DV PAL 48kHz 16 bit stereo movie file plays back audio fine in AE3's preview option "

First, let's clear up any ambiguity concerning the AE version you run.

AE 3.x is about ten years old, and only ran on Macs. AE 4.x was the first to run on Windows boxes.

AE CS 3 is actually AE version 8, and is 32-bit, running on both Mac and Win. It's almost surely the version you meant, but you never know.....

Since you probably run AE 8, here's an initial question: have you upgraded your OS recently?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James HarrisonRe: Missing waveform on imported footage
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 6:19:16 pm

Sorry - I should have been clearer... the After Effects software is indeed version 8.0.2 but also known as CS3.

The OS was upgraded to Snow Leopard at the start of the year. The version is 10.6.8

Waveforms have been visible until now. Hence the mystery. Admittedly, I hadn't used DV footage imported from FCP for sometime, so perhaps this problem's been around longer.

The machine is an Intel Mac Pro G5...

Somewhere else I read of another guy having the same problem - in a post dated something like 14th August 2011, but no one had responded to his issue...

Thanks for the response so far...

James

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Missing waveform on imported footage
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 6:39:58 pm

You may need to manually clean the media cache [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

James HarrisonRe: Missing waveform on imported footage
by on Sep 10, 2011 at 6:28:16 pm

Thanks Walter - I'll take a look when I get some time... it's a promising lead at least...

regards

James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]