ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What Are Cinematics?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian YoungWhat Are Cinematics?
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 8:09:22 pm

I have a gig to do cinematics. This is nowhere on my resume, so I don't know why I was booked. However, if it's something I can learn quickly -- cool. If not, I will call them asap so that they can get someone else.

But before doing that, I want to know what it is and if there are tutorials on it here at Creative Cow. A Google search turns up cinematic looks, not the animation technique.

My skills: AE since 2008 - Basic animations, compositing, tracking. I have never done a 'cinematic.'

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: What Are Cinematics?
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:07:48 pm

Do you mean animatics?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: What Are Cinematics?
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:15:57 pm

When I hear cinematic, I think of the cut-scenes in games or interactive content.

If it's animatic, as Brian suggested, visualize an animated storyboard.

There are plenty of representative examples of both you can find with a quick search on YouTube.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Lillian YoungRe: What Are Cinematics?
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 6:53:57 pm

Thanks, Walter. I meant cinematics. And actually YouTube wasn't very helpful in this regard. Of the two tutorials I found, one was very poorly instructed, and one covered so little that I didn't grasp it.

Fortunately Lynda.com just came out with a tutorial on animating characters in AE, and I 'think' it's the closest thing to what I need to know.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2011 at 7:03:12 pm

[Lillian Young] "Thanks, Walter. I meant cinematics. And actually YouTube wasn't very helpful in this regard. Of the two tutorials I found, one was very poorly instructed, and one covered so little that I didn't grasp it. Fortunately Lynda.com just came out with a tutorial on animating characters in AE, and I 'think' it's the closest thing to what I need to know."

Hi Lillian -- sorry I was so unclear. I directed you to YouTube for examples of cinematics, not instruction on how to do them. Character animation is such a big topic that it's hard to present in a 20 minute freebie Internet clip, but Lynda's courses might cover it well.

I wouldn't think of AE as the tool of choice for character animation, unless it's a very specific style easily accomplished in 2.5D. When I think of cinematics, I usually think of some pretty elaborate 3D work, but again, it totally depends on the style.

If it turns out your client is using some in-house definition as others have suggested, I'd certainly love to hear how they're using the word.

Good luck with your project!

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: What Are Cinematics?
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:16:00 pm

Technically speaking, cinematics is a term that means "the art or principles of making motion pictures". I suspect though that your client may want something in the line of an animatic - a pre-visualization of an idea before going into heavy production. It can be an animated storyboard or pretty complex 2d animation, 3d animation and even sometimes a small scale production with stand-in actors and low budget fx... I would ask the client what exactly does he or she mean by cinematics. Post back the answer, I'm curious to see what they say.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: What Are Cinematics?
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 11:08:30 pm

I thought "animatic" as well. But I'm also suspecting that this is an in-house term that the client has, and assumes everyone else understands it. (I hate it when they do that....)

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Steve BrameRe: What Are Cinematics?
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 12:08:31 am

Probably involves the use of many C-47's.

Steve Brame
creative illusions Productions

Return to posts index

Lillian YoungRe: What Are Cinematics?
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 6:59:46 pm

I initially asked (before posting here) and they said "cinematics," not animatics. If it's as simple as this tutorial from YouTube where you mask out an image and animate stuff behind it, fine.

But if it's more complicated than that, well..

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2011 at 7:10:47 pm

I was thinking more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WorldofWarcraft?blend=8&ob=5#p/u/0/k7Fq5gx2dmA

That's the "making of" for a video game cinematic.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: What Are Cinematics?
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 7:12:29 pm

That YouTube example is some high school kid throwing around the term "Cinematic" with his particular definition meaning "move movie-like". Apparently he wants to put the sun in the sky where there is none.

[Lillian Young] "But if it's more complicated than that, well.."

It may not be, but you have to find out for certain, ma'am. And I think you can do it by contacting the client to seek clarification.

You can say that after a bit of research on the client's behalf you've learned there are about a half-dozen different definitions of the term "cinematics", each requiring different techniques, and involving different amounts of complexity. To make absolutely certain you deliver the proper thing, you'd like a description of how the client defines the term.

This isn't an admission of any lack of knowledge. It's a vendor doing due diligence to make double-dog sure the job is done right the first time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas LeongRe: What Are Cinematics?
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 4:27:18 am

Doesn't sound anywhere near Cinemagraph - though a very artistic look, viewing their work.

Return to posts index

Richard HollidayRe: What Are Cinematics?
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 7:14:20 pm

Hello Thomas,

I read your bio here on CreativeCow.net, and feel a bit humbled to ask the same question that Bob Kiger asked you about using RegClean.exe with Windows XP - I still use it, and have the same concern as to whether it is giving any benefit at all. In any case, when you responded to Bob, you sent him on a copy of the RegCleaner.exe . I've been all over looking for a copy of it, and keep running into the same issue - pay up.... Also I agree, MS should provide it, but as their support is waning on XP, I'm sure we'll never see anything free from them in the future - Gates could afford free stuff for the world, but the company is now run to bring down big bucks for the shareholders!

Anyway, enough of my ranting! If you do happen to still have a copy of RegCleaner.exe and could send it to me, I'd be more than appreciative! I wasn't sure of how to contact you by email, but you can link to me via dickh81@yahoo.com. Thanks for any help you can provide!

All the best,

Richard Holliday

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]