ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

error in glow, white rectangle

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pieter Jan Bleichrodterror in glow, white rectangle
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:16:46 pm

Does anyone know why this happens the rectangular white box over the image?. I'm working on 32bpc the footage is exr 32bit.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: error in glow, white rectangle
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:34:02 pm

What's in the nested comp?

Return to posts index

Pieter Jan BleichrodtRe: error in glow, white rectangle
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:47:26 pm

there is an render element multiplied by an ambient occlusion pass. But I think that is not the problem, I've had this same problem in a different project...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: error in glow, white rectangle
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 3:04:04 pm

Have you confirmed that areas of transparency actually exist in that nested comp?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2011 at 3:23:43 pm

the layers have no alpha channel. I suspect it being a bug......

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: error in glow, white rectangle
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 4:02:52 pm

I suspected there was no transparency when you mentioned the term, "multiply". The multiply blend mode doesn't create transparency; it simply performs a certain set of mathematical operations on the pixels of the upper layer, and applies them to all layers below it.

If the base layer in the nested comp doesn't have transparency, your nested comp won't have transparency. If the layer you're multiplying doesn't have transparency as well, you lose transparency again.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: error in glow, white rectangle
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 4:56:45 pm

If you want to give your AO pass transparency (and use that instead of the Multiply blend mode) then use the Shift Channels effect and set your Alpha to Luminosity.

A second option (which I prefer) is to take a master render, put it on the top of all the 3D renders, and set its blend mode to "Stencil Alpha" -- this will cut everything out to match the alpha of the master render. (This could also be something like a diffuse render). Then you'd nest this comp in a new comp with the background plate, add shadows, etc....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: error in glow, white rectangle
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:38:38 pm

You guys are all missing the point here... there is a white rectangle in the picture and its area doesn't even match the comp's area, there is nothing to do with alpha. It only happens in 32bpc mode... I've had that too, I'll suggest you switching to another glow. If you change to 8bpc, white rectangle disapears right?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2011 at 7:09:44 am

Yes yes! That's correct, it has got nothing to do with alpha and it's only appearing in 32bpc. Do you know a glow plugin that works well?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: error in glow, white rectangle
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:54:38 pm

What do the float color values read if you mouse over the white rectangle? If you're using any effects, could you list them? What channels are in the footage and is it being interpreted properly? Are there additional EXR channels beyond RGBA in the sequence? Have you tried using EXtractoR? I could ask more questions but I'll leave it at that for now :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Sep 9, 2011 at 7:24:15 am

The float color values are: nan, so obviously not correct (forgot where it stands for, not available?). aplha :1 for the whole image.

The layers are just exr files 32bit float, nothing fancy, just RGB that's all. I've rendered the elements in seperate files. I've tried reactor before but I think it's to much of a hustle.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: error in glow, white rectangle
by on Sep 9, 2011 at 6:14:40 pm

[Pieter Jan Bleichrodt] "The float color values are: nan, so obviously not correct (forgot where it stands for, not available?). aplha :1 for the whole image."

NaN stands for "Not a Number" and is usually a value that can't be represented as a floating point (real) number. However, this is usually a result of an operation being performed. Generally it doesn't make sense to see values stored in a file as NaN, so there is likely SOME sort of operation taking place on the footage. Are you using any color management (this can operate on the stored values)? If so I would recommend first seeing what happens if you disable View > Use Display Color Management, then if that doesn't work also seeing what happens if you disable the working profile in project settings.

If none of these work, then it could be that the values stored in the file are outside the range of what AE supports (higher precision than 32bpc?). That seems unlikely though.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Sep 20, 2011 at 8:13:06 am

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for my late reply and my bad english. But I found the problem, sort of. It's because of the nan values in the images. I've downloaded the NanNy filter and now there seems to be no problem. It looks like 3dsmax does some weird things with the output......
Thanks for all the help and answers, much appreciated!

Regards
Deek

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]