ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Difficult roto job

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachaloDifficult roto job
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 1:50:35 pm

I need to lighten only the shadows of the face, torso and arms of some medium interview footage.

Why? It needs to match other footage that has substantially more fill and I can't reshoot.

Is there one best solution in AE? Played with rotobrush, track mattes, etc, but so far haven't nailed it.

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Difficult roto job
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 2:32:08 pm

I don't know if I'd attempt every part of the body. Instead, try concentrating on just the face, animating an adjustment layer with a levels effect applied and a feathered oval mask.

You could try motion tracking a piece of the ear to make animating the adjustment layer's motion easier.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jim bachaloRe: Difficult roto job
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 3:06:46 pm

Thanks Dave, will give that a try

Local is the new global

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Difficult roto job
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 6:03:37 pm

In addition to Dave's suggestion I'd recommend looking at the Shadow/Highlight effect to brighten the shadows as that should allow good control over affecting the colors specifically in areas of shadow.

You could duplicate the footage, adjust the shadows using Shadow/Highlight to your taste, then selectively mask the background out of that layer with a large feather so as to retain the separation between your subject and the wall.

Just be careful of giving the subject a 'glowing' look. Depending on the accuracy required, and money being poured in, I would often prefer to create masks for this purpose that simulate a light cast on the back wall falling off. This doesn't require as much accuracy around the detailed edges of the foreground.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved