ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Audio problem with Time Remapping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dana YurcisinAudio problem with Time Remapping
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:12:24 am

Looked for a similar post elsewhere, but no luck thus far so I figured I'd post my own. My apologies if this is a repeat.

I've been using Time Remapping on my skateboarding footage for years now (all miniDV) and the audio is extremely crucial. However, for whatever reason starting about 4 days ago the audio of my clips has been very muffled. The audio on the original file is fine, only when I import it into After Effects does this problem occur. It sounds as if it's underwater, and the resulting volume is a fraction of what it started as. I've tried trashing my preferences to see if that would fix the problem, but no dice.

I'm not doing anything differently from when I used to do this successfully, just adding the sequence to render queue, clicking "lossless" and checking the audio box. No clue what the problem could be. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm just trying to wrap up a large project. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Audio problem with Time Remapping
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 6:06:45 pm

This only happens when you have time remapping enabled?

Time remapping can tend to have unintended consequences, but this is the first time I've ever heard of this. Does the audio preview well in AE?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dana YurcisinRe: Audio problem with Time Remapping
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 6:27:21 pm

After just checking now, it's actually as soon as I import the footage into AE. Even before I add any type of effect like Time Remapping the volume is extremely muffled. I'm still not doing anything differently from what I did when it was working correctly lol so confusing.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2011 at 7:47:19 pm

When you select the audio footage in your project panel, what does the footage information at the top report? There should be a sample rate (44 or 48 kHz?) a bit depth (16 bit?) and number of channels (mono/stereo).

Do these all look correct?

The only other thought I have is that if it is stereo audio, try dropping the levels on only one channel (left for example) down to -64db. Does this make things better or worse?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:13:51 pm

I have 48 kHz, 16 bit and mono. Also, even though we haven't gotten a solution yet, thanks a bunch for helping me out.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:21:22 pm

I'm sorry we haven't figured out what the problem is yet :(

Mono seems odd, does that make sense when compared with the previous footage you've worked with? If you watch the pre-AE footage in QuickTime is the audio good?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Audio problem with Time Remapping
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:27:15 pm

I'm with Darby: I have NEVER had that type of audio problem with AE. I suspect the problem happened before it was imported into AE.

I'd recommend double-checking those clips in a media player, or better yet, importing them into the editing application from which they came. If they sound bad in either one, you'll know that it took place on the way out of the editing application.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2011 at 9:57:20 pm

I've tried it all lol. I've played the clips in both quicktime and FCP and they play just fine, audio and all, it's only when it's imported into AE that the problem begins. And yeah, all of my previous clips that worked fine had the same settings, 48 kHz, 16 bit, mono.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Audio problem with Time Remapping
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:04:47 pm

[Dana Yurcisin] "I've tried it all lol."

Maybe not: have you trashed your AE Preferences? Quit AE, then hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) while the application is starting. It'll restore default preferences.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:13:53 pm

Yeah, just tried that last night before I made this post just to be sure.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 8, 2011 at 10:42:57 pm

My suggested workaround is to export audio only out of QuickTime player or FCP and try using that in AE.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]