ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Three Questions: Rendering and Excluding Areas from Keying

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas SizynskiThree Questions: Rendering and Excluding Areas from Keying
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:23:32 pm

I've noticed a problem related to my renders for a while now. When I import a bunch of frames (stop motion) I wish to use to create a composition and include them as a single sequence, when I render (as an avi) the render is done suspiciously quickly, and when the .avi is opened, the move is laggy, and frankly leaves me scratching my head--what am I doing wrong when I render?

The same lagginess occurred when I rendered a composition that had been successfully Keylighted and saved as RGB + Alpha as a .avi. [the .avi was run with WMP and the alpha was replaced with black)

Maybe the .avi is a terrible choice, I'll try the Quick Time option, but it seems I'm not selecting something right, especially in regards to trying to get those Frames to cooperate. I've been doing the usual, Run @ 24 fps, no double frames, and I simply go Composition > Add to Render Queue and go from there.

Yet, when I open these movies, they lag, the WMP feels unresponsive, and more than half of the frames I added in are mysteriously cut out!

In regards to keying, I used a greenscreen in the background to key out, while in the foreground, there are plastic figurines--and one of the figurines has a chest piece that is green. The tone is a little darker than the green screen, but I'm afraid there's going to be some washing out. Is there a way I can create a "Don't Key Here" Selection, and is there a way I can apply it to a figurine that is in motion in the composition? (sometimes he is turning, sometimes the camera turns around him)

An Artist interested in the past, stuck in the present.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Three Questions: Rendering and Excluding Areas from Keying
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:28:10 pm

AE's default lossless output module generates an intermediate file that is designed for additional post-production use, not direct playback. These files are generally huge, with very high data rates, and very few computers can play them back in real time without stuttering. For more, see this Adobe FAQ [link]: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

As for the keying, it's often done in layers anyway. You can add the patch back in on another layer by tracking or animating a garbage mask around it.

If it's really small, some keyers have alpha hole-filling features.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andreas SizynskiRe: Three Questions: Rendering and Excluding Areas from Keying
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:04:14 pm

Walter,
thank you so much for replying. In regards to the keying in layers, because this is a composition, I think all the data is 'baked' into one layer, so to speak.

My primary interest at this point is in animating a garbage mask around that bit of green.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 17, 2011 at 2:59:23 am

do you know of any tutorial videos to point me in creating a "tracking and/or animating" garbage mask?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Three Questions: Rendering and Excluding Areas from Keying
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:36:03 pm

...and when you render, you're setting the render to create an alpha channel, correct? RGB+Alpha, Millions (or Trillions) of colors+?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Three Questions: Rendering and Excluding Areas from Keying
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 6:47:07 pm

[Andreas Sizynski] "In regards to keying, I used a greenscreen in the background to key out, while in the foreground, there are plastic figurines--and one of the figurines has a chest piece that is green. The tone is a little darker than the green screen, but I'm afraid there's going to be some washing out. Is there a way I can create a "Don't Key Here" Selection, and is there a way I can apply it to a figurine that is in motion in the composition? (sometimes he is turning, sometimes the camera turns around him)
"

What you need is a hold out matte.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Return to posts index

by on Sep 7, 2011 at 7:34:07 pm

Yes, you're are right. That is precisely what I needed. I think for when the figurine is "in motion" I'll need to figure out how to do an animated garbage mask

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]