ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Old AE problems return

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve BentleyOld AE problems return
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 1:06:05 pm

Finally had to take my spare MBP up to OSX10.68 so I could run cs5.5 AE on the road. It's not the newest MBP but it is an intel Core2Duo, and compatible with snowleopard.
I'm seeing issues that appeared in early CS versions:
Clicking a layer in the time line to select it, and then releasing will often hilight a few other layers if you start moving away too fast and the mouse passes over other layers.
Similarly, command-selecting more than one later (non consecutive) will often move those layers unexpectedly as you mouse to select the next layer you want to group with the growing selection. It's like the release or mouseUp isn't triggering fast enough.

We're also seeing an odd selection issue in the project window. Importing a file hilights that file in the project list so you can easily add it to the stage with one keystroke. All good so far. Importing another file normally deselects that last one and then hilights the new incoming one. But now after that second import, if you add to stage with one keystroke - both are added because the selection list is not being refreshed with the new import and both files are lit.

This machine was wiped before a new install of the OS and only that and CS5 are living on it. A machine doesn't get much fresher or cleaner. Is this fixable?, is it an "old" machine issue?, an OS issue or is it AE?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Old AE problems return
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 2:10:53 pm

A couple of things come to mind:
2) If this is a clean install, you might have overlooked running any updates. The updates to AE 10 fix a lot of weirdness in the application.
2) If this laptop isn't stuffed to the gills with memory, turn off multiprocessing and leave it off.

Those are two very common and easy things you can do right away.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve BentleyRe: Old AE problems return
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 2:45:52 pm

We'll its as crammed as that box can be (4gb) - not a lot to be sure for Adobe memory hogs, but I'm pretty good about running only one big app at a time.
Have tried multi proc on and off and open GL on and off, disk cache on and off.
I will check for updates - with it being a new download from Adobe that lulled me into thinking it would be fresh. But you're right.

Return to posts index

Stephen TaylorRe: Old AE problems return
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:17:01 pm

You may have tried this, so excuse me, but try deleting your preference file. I've had some weird issues that were resolved that way.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Old AE problems return
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:32:57 pm

if you didn't do a clean install for osx, you should. then run the apple software update until it doesn't find any more updates. after that run the disk utility and repair permissions.

then you'll need to reinstall all your apps, fonts, codecs, etc.

once it's up and going, delete the previous system folder.

it's a lot of work, but you if you upgrade your os, it's the best path to take.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved