ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

poor render quality, lower third template

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Littlepoor render quality, lower third template
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:02:54 pm

Hey guys! I wonder if anyone can assist me? I'm trying to create a lower thirds template and my renders look awful. Looks great in the preview window, but lousy when rendered, as if the text has been squashed and pixels removed. What gives? Is it an aspect ratio issue?

Win7 64bit
AE 5.5

comp size: 700x394 (1.00) square pixel

Rendering MP4 with same specs, no scaling/cropping
1500 kbps
VBR, 1pass
keyframe every 15

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Brandon LittleRe: poor render quality, lower third template
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:09:57 pm

I'm thinking it's the MP4. Going to H.264 worked better.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: poor render quality, lower third template
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:21:28 pm

That's an awfully strange resolution for something associated with lower-thirds.
Lower-thirds imply the use of a camera.
Templates imply use in something else, like an editing application. Templates can also imply the use of an alpha channel for transparency, and footage that doesn't necessarily have to move; it can be a still if it's just used as a guide for placement.

So what kind of camera shoots at 700x394, what kind of editing application edits at 700x394 and why are you making an mp4? A little more detail on what you're doing would help.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brandon LittleRe: poor render quality, lower third template
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:42:34 pm

Thanks, Dave.

Yeah, it's a weird size, but it's company specs I have to follow. It's a quick animation of a lower third that will come up and then slide off. The final product will be an AE set and other designers will just type over my text and render whatever they want. It will have widescreen and standard screen formats.

The render I'm doing is really to show others what it's meant to look like. Apparently, MP4 was the wrong way to go.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: poor render quality, lower third template
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:59:52 pm

Those may be the DELIVERY specs this company wants you to follow, but I doubt very much anyone is going to edit in 700x394 or whatever you stated earlier.

More than likely, this will be edited at 720x480, 1440x1080, 1280x720 or something akin to that. THEN, when the final edit is approved, the final project is reduced to the smaller size for final delivery. That's how it's normally done.

Is there something about your workflow that we're not understanding here?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: poor render quality, lower third template
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 5:44:07 pm

Like Dave, I too wonder about the strange size. I usually render lower thirds in an uncompressed format with an alpha channel. Your quality issue is a compression issue for sure. I would never recommend rendering a graphic, that you will use later in another composition, in a compressed format.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]