ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Pixelation problem when rendering dissolves

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Baker
Pixelation problem when rendering dissolves
on Sep 6, 2011 at 12:16:34 pm

Hello,

I am rendering a quicktime file from After Effects 7.0 and am having problems getting smooth transitions with shots that involve dissolving from one still photograph to another. I have tried a number of different rendering options but none seems to correct this problem.

The file is at 4:3 square pixel PAL, 25 frames per second. I am rendering on a Sony VAIO running XP. The file is designed to upload onto a website and be converted. The site states that the file has to be under 40MB. It should also be playable off a desktop computer and/or laptop.

The quicktime compression type that I have been using is MPEG-4 as that seems to be the best from AE. I have tried combinations of 900KBytes data limit and upwards, along with keyframes from as many as every 12 frames to 25 frames and 50 frames. I have also tried outputting with 8 bit and 16 bits per colour - I don't know if 16 bits per colour can cause problems with compatibility of any kind.

Does anyone know what settings can best solve this issue? Could it be anything to do with the specifics of the data limit number, e.g whether it is a mutliple of a particular number? I know that there are some situations where results appear better when specific types of number are used.

Thanks for your help,
James

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Pixelation problem when rendering dissolves
on Sep 6, 2011 at 12:26:14 pm

It is always best to render uncompressed from AE and then compress that to your delivery format using Adobe Media Encoder. You can also open the AE project in Encoder, choose the comp you want to render and compress directly. H264 with keyframes at everyframe should give you a really good quality compression. There are also other options for web compression. Containers like .flv and .f4v are a good option as well.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

James Baker
on Sep 6, 2011 at 1:40:03 pm

That's great, thanks. Looking at the download link on the Adobe site, there are two options. One for Win64 and one for Win 32. I've googled the terms but am not entirely sure how this works. Is Win64 partly to do with my system. If I download that version is it possible that it may not work if my system isn't a Win64 one?

Do you know how much the program costs, or is it free?

Also, I was given the impression a while ago that having keyframes every frame would cause problems with playback - I think in the context of a file which is converted automatically after being uploaded for playback on a site. Do you know if this is the case?

Thanks,
James

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 6, 2011 at 3:24:37 pm

[James Baker] "One for Win64 and one for Win 32. I've googled the terms but am not entirely sure how this works. Is Win64 partly to do with my system."

Sorry, but that makes little sense. You either have a 64-bit Windows OS or you have a 32-bit OS.

Since you run AE version SEVEN, and AE became a 64-bit-only application with version TEN, I'll go out on a limb and say you have a 32-bit OS.

And since you run such an old version of AE, I'm going to recommend that you render out your animation in either a lossles or uncompressed file. If your system will run the 32-bit version of Adobe Media Encoder, you can then make the conversion to the codec you want. Or the one that Ted recommends, which is what I'd do.

It also sounds like you may be a new AE user. You should know that there are many, many little details in AE that you need to know before you get down to the fun stuff. Here's a good place to start:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]