ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

32 to 8 bpc RGBA conversion question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
xavier loebl32 to 8 bpc RGBA conversion question
by on Sep 4, 2011 at 6:21:23 pm

Hi there !
I'm kind of new to the world of 32pbc workflow...
I've seen a bunch of informations about 32 to 8bpc conversion here and there, but I'm still missing a point....

I'm building a DVD interface and the design is done in After Effects, 32bpc.
So I have a background and then png files for the buttons that come on top of this background.
Authoring software feeds on 8bpc files only, or at least doesn't support exr files, only png, tga and so on.

Now I have some text with let's say an extra-blue color (appears white on screen) and when it gets selected it has a blur to it that makes those nice 32bpc color-bleeds BUT how to I get this RGBA result into a 8bpc file ?

I mean, I don't need to keep the extra info there, only the "on-screen" result....
When I just save it to PNG all I get is an ugly grey marmelade.
Tga files, regardless to their depth, only whow as a bunch of crushed white boxes when opened in photoshop....
When I render the blurrend text against a black background in a 8bbc file (png, jpg, whatever) it looks exactly the way I wand but I'm obviously loosing my alpha-infos....

Anyone ?

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: 32 to 8 bpc RGBA conversion question
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 1:11:09 am

I don't have a computer to test this on but I'd say your problem is that you need the 32bpc blurry goodness to blend with something before it gets locked to 8bpc.

Your options, as far as I can tell, would be to set your buttons to Stencil Alpha and render to 8bpc with your BG layers on; render to a 32bpc PSD with 'straight' alpha and generate transparency from the alpha in Photoshop then convert to 8bpc in Photoshop; render out 8bpc on black and in Photoshop create transparency from your RGB channels and use Layer > Remove Black Matting (not by my computer, that may not be the name).

Depending on what you need to supply for authoring one of those options (or another similar one) may be better than the others.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

xavier loeblRe: 32 to 8 bpc RGBA conversion question
by on Sep 14, 2011 at 11:05:55 am

Thanks for your help Darby, sorry for the late reply, I was such in a rush with this project... but this definitely helped :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved