ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Finishing Touch Filter/Plug-in for cartoon animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Sundstedt
Finishing Touch Filter/Plug-in for cartoon animation
on Sep 3, 2011 at 3:33:20 pm

Hi,

just finishing off a 3 minute cartoon animation in AFX.

Now, to give it that "little extra" when it's finished, is there anything you can recommend in terms of a filter or plug-in to make it look even better.

I am thinking 1st of all to add a 4% noise because I think that looks better than without any noise.

I have so far added nothing, just my colored pen drawings, animated in AFX.

Does the animation studios for cartoon type animations usually do any processing?

Cheers
Anders

Return to posts index

ben g unguren
Re: Finishing Touch Filter/Plug-in for cartoon animation
on Sep 3, 2011 at 3:46:06 pm

As for noise, the film grain filter will produce better results. You can also use the "Noise HLS" filter (which renders faster), adjusting the hue, saturation, and lightness noise separately -- choose the "Grain" type of noise, which will allow you to increase the grain size if you want to. Finally, you need the noise to change from frame to frame; I use a simple expression for the Noise Phase attribute: random(0,2700)

As for the other stuff, it's pretty hard to give much advice without seeing what your images look like. Basic color correction filters are common, like Levels, Color Balance, Hue/Saturation, etc....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 3, 2011 at 4:07:48 pm

I agree that noise/grain could help and also that it is hard to give blind advice, especially in matters of finishing visual stuff. It depends so much on what your art looks like AND what you want to convey visually. I spent hours in the studio just doing grading tests to figure out what is the right adjustment that helps enhance the story.
So, post some stills or a clip and then you'll get more input.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Anders Sundstedt
on Sep 3, 2011 at 4:44:33 pm

Hi,

Thanks both of you, I did mean Film Grain I got it confused with noise there.

I am rendering out a .mov h264 clip from a scene and will upload to Vimeo and share shortly.

Cheers
Anders

Return to posts index

Anders Sundstedt
on Sep 4, 2011 at 1:13:32 pm

<iframe src='//reels.creativecow.net/e/14103' width='900' height='506' frameborder='0'></iframe><p><a href='http://reels.creativecow.net/film/scene-3-test'>Scene 3 test</a></p>

Return to posts index

Anders Sundstedt
on Sep 4, 2011 at 2:29:19 pm

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/scene-3-test

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Sep 4, 2011 at 6:10:11 pm

Fun- it depends a lot on what feeling you want the piece to have, but my first instinct would be to add grain, a few micro scratches, a slight gate weave and a tiny flicker, make everything look more film like.Before applying all the above I would try a Channel Blur to soften a bit the look.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 5, 2011 at 1:33:46 pm

Tweaking the shading may help you get that little bit extra.

Your shading now is flat -- there's no variation in tone, so the viewer doesn't feel like there's a real light in the scene anywhere. The shading certainly doesn't have to be realistic to be dynamic -- even a subtle and stylized stylized glow on one side and shadow on the other will help add a little interest, depth and finish.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Anders Sundstedt
on Sep 16, 2011 at 11:31:21 am

Thanks all of you for you help. After a lot of tests I decided that for this animation I didn't want shadows, mainly because the majority either had black backgrounds or they were far from the background (water or a map). Anyhow, I also wanted the cartoon look more like hand drawn old fashioned cartoons flat on background. Thus I didn't want to add gradients like is often used on vector animations.

Your tips however will come to use on my future animations!

I will be uploading a demo reel to the demo section, containing clips from this and another animation.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]