ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Please assist me save this subpar video. My skills are really lacking here.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary KraussPlease assist me save this subpar video. My skills are really lacking here.
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 10:58:13 pm

Hi all;

Im trying to cut a short video for my sister's medical practice, and it just looks like hell. From the sound (which I have to synch with a second source) to the motion graphics, it just looks awful. Quite amateurish. Can anyone give me some real world advice to help salvage this project? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Please assist me save this subpar video. My skills are really lacking here.
by on Sep 3, 2011 at 4:04:19 pm

You asked for real world advice, so here we go: re-think, plan, storyboard, test and then re-shoot. Hire professionals or spend time before learning the techniques and skills you plan to use.
There's a saying: when you put cr#p in then cr#p comes out...
I did not think that your video looks that bad... I've seen worse, but I'm afraid that with the material you have this is about the best you can get as far as sound and image... you may be able to put better graphics in, to color grade the video and work out a better post processing for audio, but it will look like you packaged the same off the shelf bottle of wine in a vintage, limited edition, 70 year old wooden box: it looks a bit better on the outside, but once you open the wine, it tastes the same.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Gary KraussRe: Please assist me save this subpar video. My skills are really lacking here.
by on Sep 3, 2011 at 4:07:43 pm

Thank you for your perspective. Unfortunately re-shooting is not an option. Perhaps some suggestions for specific graphic changes would help to sweeten things abit?

Thank you

Gary

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Please assist me save this subpar video. My skills are really lacking here.
by on Sep 3, 2011 at 4:16:56 pm

First you need a unity in the look and feel- so create graphics using the same color scheme, one based on a design rule. Kuler is a good resource for that:
http://kuler.adobe.com/#create/fromacolor
You can use the same color scheme to grade your footage- use Colorista (free from Red Giant/Magic Bullet), or Color Finesse (comes with AE) or if you have them, Magic Bullet Looks.
Use the same font.
You have a logo- use that as a starting point for colors and fonts you use. They can either be similar or complementary to what you have.
Think about what your graphics need to convey- is it just information or another idea as well ? (for example- high tech clinic, with modern equipment, then you have high tech graphics, cool looking colors that stem from a monochromatic rule and sans serif fonts..).
Hire some one professional to do the audio once you've synced everything- it's cheap enough and it will make a difference.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Gary KraussRe: Please assist me save this subpar video. My skills are really lacking here.
by on Sep 3, 2011 at 4:29:30 pm

I see what you mean by hiring a professional. I understand exactly what you are saying, but the execution of such changes truly requires someone with an experienced eye and the skills to affect those changes...

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Scott CumboRe: Please assist me save this subpar video. My skills are really lacking here.
by on Sep 3, 2011 at 8:00:52 pm

I say speed everything up.... Cut your intro time in half, make your gfx come in quicker, get rid of the picture and picture stuff unless you have too use it, get rid of the dissolves when going to your b-roll (just use cuts) and tighten up your (their) message.

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

by on Sep 3, 2011 at 9:14:22 pm

Thanks Scott--will try...

Return to posts index

by on Sep 3, 2011 at 11:07:57 pm

I made a trimmed version. Does this play any better?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2011 at 8:42:16 am

To be blunt- no. It's very similar, corporate and early 90's in look and feel.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2011 at 11:19:28 am

Constructive Criticism please...

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2011 at 1:35:34 pm

Look back to my previous posts- the suggestions remain the same. I think you are trying hard to salvage this project and being too much "inside of it" you are not able to see a different way. I agree with Scott's suggestion that you need to cut your footage in half, use straight cuts, a much faster pace and maybe add some camera shake/moves in post. You are using template graphics, mixing from different sources- it's not helping you. There's a lot more you can do (some of it I already mentioned), but usually people get hired to spend the time and use their knowledge to help in situations like these. I'm afraid you will not be able to solve your situation quickly and for free on a forum.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Please assist me save this subpar video. My skills are really lacking here.
by on Sep 4, 2011 at 3:20:09 pm

No offense meant, Ted, but shaking the footage isn't going to help anything here. The people going to this practice need to be calmed down and reassured, not blasted with some hip, now, type of bandaid. It's the message that needs to be tweaked, not having some current style slapped on top of it.

This is a content based video which is trying to tell a story, albeit a bit scattered right now. The key to it is the message - the visuals are secondary, but, that said, by consistent color choices which fit the corporate color scheme (the logo at this point), smooth motion (with keyframes that ease in and out), and some soft dissolves, will help relax the viewer, and help them feel at ease making their choice. In videos such as this, style is always secondary to content. That said, I'm glad the PIP went away - also the beveled boxes on the PIP were just canned looking. The opening shot could be greately improved by having a slow zoom in to the picture. You can do this yourself - just study other people's work in a similar context.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2011 at 3:36:01 pm

Joseph I am feeling the warm fuzzies...THANK YOU for the support!

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2011 at 4:05:46 pm

Joseph, None taken, we all have our opinions- however I think you may have misunderstood my suggestion. I did say shakes/moves, which include the slow zoom suggestion you gave. Still I think that for an audience that is bombarded by high quality productions that use the "hip, now, type" every day, an updated visual language is beneficial. Balancing the shots of the speaker (slow moves and/or zoom) with the shots of the high tech equipment (dynamic moves and graphics) will provide an interesting catchy visual that will keep the audience entertained enough to listen to the message. All the above- camera moves, dynamic edit and graphics- will transmit the message of high production value which in turn will reflect by association to the value/quality of the service described. It's a simple marketing and advertising truth that works every time, at least that's my humble opinion as a Creative Director.
Gary, maybe I misunderstood your request. I thought you needed direct professional advice and not a pat on the back. I already mentioned that I do not think the piece is a disaster- it's a good corporate presentation, but if you want it to go to another level you need to be able to handle the input.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

by on Sep 4, 2011 at 4:25:49 pm

Joe you are exactly right. My sister practices in a very conservative town, and she does not want to portray videos for the practice as hip eye candy.

Ted thank you for your comments, but I think others can take it from here.

Return to posts index

Mark LandmanRe: Please assist me save this subpar video. My skills are really lacking here.
by on Sep 5, 2011 at 12:04:23 am

The first thing I noticed about this video wasn't the video at all - but the audio. It sounds like it was recorded from a mic that was half way across the room. Don't rely on the camera mic. You need to have your talent wearing a mic or have a good shotgun mic just out of camera range.
You can have the greatest visuals in the world, but if the audio is bad it won't matter.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2011 at 12:40:08 am

True--I did use a wire mic but I haven't synched the sound yet with the Canon 5D. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Chris TompkinsRe: Please assist me save this subpar video. My skills are really lacking here.
by on Sep 5, 2011 at 5:31:49 pm

Round two is much improved. Proper audio will help also.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2011 at 5:35:35 pm

Thanks Chris. Here is a copy with the synched sound. She's not putting my feet to the fire to make a pro video...the practice is doing well. She's encouraging me to push myself to get some experience. I recorded at too low a bit rate on the wireless lav...dammit!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]