ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

alpha + not showing, instead a grey background is showing!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adeeb oberoialpha + not showing, instead a grey background is showing!
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 10:45:39 pm

After exporting out of 32 bits AE my Tiffs and PSDs sequence (both 32 bits) do not have transparency but grey backgrounds when I open them in photoshop.

I am using CS5 and in the render setting I do have alpha+ selected.

The footage in AE is raw red and the project is set to 32 bpc.

Adeeb Oberoi
Carib Media Productions

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: alpha + not showing, instead a grey background is showing!
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 11:55:21 pm

Alpha rendered out of After Effects doesn't generally translate to transparency in Photoshop.

You'll find the alpha information in an Alpha channel in the rendered image. You can use this to create a selection and apply a mask to your image, which will 'convert' to transparency, but this can cause problems if you rendered with a pre-multiplied alpha since Photoshop doesn't have a clean cut way to unpremultiply.

If you don't need to work with the transparency in photoshop then there should be no need to do any of this. When you import the sequence into a program that understands alpha (like After Effects) it should generate transparency from it since there is alpha in there.

PNG is the only format that I'm aware of that renders out with something Photoshop recognizes as transparency instead of alpha.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: alpha + not showing, instead a grey background is showing!
by on Sep 3, 2011 at 1:11:07 am

[Darby Edelen] "PNG is the only format that I'm aware of that renders out with something Photoshop recognizes as transparency instead of alpha."

OpenEXR is another option -- Photoshop will recognize its transparency, and it supports floating point images (whereas PNG is limited to 16bpc).

Adeeb, my apologies to you that I didn't think the alpha/transparency issue through when I suggested using PSD in the first place.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

adeeb oberoiRe: alpha + not showing, instead a grey background is showing!
by on Sep 3, 2011 at 3:43:25 am

Thx Darby and Walter, So EXR really is the only option for a 32 bits AE image sequence with transparency rendered to be used in photoshop?????!!

Great that will be the way then.

I was going crazy with the tiffs and PSDs thinking I was doing something totally wrong and trying everything to get the transparency to work.

Altough its an understatement to say I am grateful to adobe for CS5 and AE and photoshop etc etc, I do think its a pity that the psd outa AE dont support transparency, I mean there is a check box in the render settings for alpha+. After all it is called a PSD (photoshop file), what good is a psd without transparency.

And...... Psds from photoshop import perfectly into AE with transparency.

Too bad.

Thanks again and I will let you know how the EXR works.

Adeeb Oberoi
Carib Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]