ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE 32 bpc syquense render for photoshop!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adeeb oberoiAE 32 bpc syquense render for photoshop!
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:39:50 am

We are working on a native RED footage in AE. It is 32 bpc and it looks really great.

This native Red project is ready for rendering and to be converted to an 8 bit mov., but before doing that I would like to do some frame by frame touch up work in photoshop on a part of this project.

I was thinking of rendering a 32 bpc sequense and open it in photoshop to do some editing, then save it as an 32 bpc sequense in photoshop and import it back into AE. Then finally rendering the whole 32bpc project to an 8 bit quicktime (mov).

What would be the best format to render 32bpc sequense out of AE for Photoshop? and which settings should I use.

Also, in AE my workspace in the project settings is still set to none, should I change this to adobe?

Adeeb Oberoi

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: AE 32 bpc syquense render for photoshop!
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 4:14:02 am

There are a number of options -- TIFF, OpenEXR, Photoshop, Radiance. They should give you the same results. When working with sequences for Photoshop tweaking, I often export DPX sequences with default settings, but that will give you 16-bit color, not full 32-bit floating point. But floating-point sequences are huge, so I only export those when I really need them -- for instance when I am cleaning up a background plate to mix in with some 32-bit RED footage that's hasn't been in for color correction yet. My advice is make sure you need the 32-bit info before exporting. In most cases 16-bit will give you all you need, and speed up your workflow as the files will be smaller....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing
http://www.mostlydocumentary.com

Return to posts index

adeeb oberoiRe: AE 32 bpc syquense render for photoshop!
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:16:49 pm

Thanks Ben,

Its only like 6 seconds at 30 frames per second that I need to export.

I just thought it would be great not to leave the 32 bit domain as I will have to re-import the sequense out of photoshop back into my 32 bpc AE project.

O yes, I do need alpha channel as well.

I know Tiff is a high quality format but there are so many settings to choose from.

Can any one give me some advice on this?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE 32 bpc syquense render for photoshop!
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:34:28 pm

Just render a Photoshop sequence, and be sure to set the output module's depth to Floating Point+.

Of course, depending on what you need to do, you might be able to get it all done with AE. See Working with Photoshop and After Effects [link] for a comparison of AE's and PS's paint tools.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

adeeb oberoiRe: AE 32 bpc syquense render for photoshop!
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 1:56:46 pm

Thanks Walter, the link helps and makes sense. So PSD it will be.

I still have the following questions.

1. In AE my workspace in the project settings is still set to none, should I change this to adobe?

2. After rendering 32 bit float psd out of AE, Will photoshop see the psd sequence as a 32 bit project or do I have to set that manually in photoshop? Are there any other settings that need to be changed.

3. after editing i Photoshop, can I save to psd again and will this automatically be 32 bit?

Adeeb Oberoi
Caribe Media Productions

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE 32 bpc syquense render for photoshop!
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 2:24:54 pm

I'm not in front of an AE machine right now, but I think it should just work. You could do a quick roundtrip test with a single frame (which includes plenty of color, as well as some sub-zero and above-one FP values) to confirm the workflow.

When using color management, make sure your working space is at least as large as whatever your output space will be.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]