ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Roughen Edges Effect On Layer Mask Weirdness

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SambrookRoughen Edges Effect On Layer Mask Weirdness
by on Sep 1, 2011 at 9:44:33 pm

Hi all,

OK so here’s the problem…. I have applied the roughen edges effect to a solid layer; this solid layer also contains a mask. The layer is then switched to 3D and a camera is keyframed to track towards the layer on the Z axis. Everything looks fine until I turn on the continuously rasterize switch, whereupon the roughen edges effect appears to move separately from the edges of the masked layer it is applied to. It gives the illusion I have animated the effects evolution property when in fact I haven’t.

I have tried following the instructions from this thread -

pre-composing etc but this hasn’t worked. I understand it is an issue with the way the attributes are stacked on the layer, but I can’t seem to figure out a work around.

Any help or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Roughen Edges Effect On Layer Mask Weirdness
by on Sep 1, 2011 at 10:51:07 pm

You can't continuously rasterize the layer and achieve the effect you want. It's just not possible given the way that continuously rasterize works.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Roughen Edges Effect On Layer Mask Weirdness
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 4:03:48 am

The roughen-edges stuff needs to happen in a comp that isn't have collapsed transformations applied. The easiest method for this in my mind is to nest it inside the comp it is currently in, and don't enable continuous rasterization for that comp. That's kind of confusing, isn't it? Here's a diagram

MAIN COMP --> NESTED COMP w/effect (Cont Rasterized in Main Comp)

MAIN COMP --> NESTED COMP 1 (Cont Rasterized in Main Comp) --> NESTED COMP 2 w/Effect (Not Cont Rasterized in Nested Comp 1)

It isn't clear why you're continuously rasterizing, but if it's a size issue, then simply double or quadruple the size of Nested Comp 2, change layers and effect settings appropriately, then scale down in Nested Comp 1. Since you're using continuous rasterization for Nested Comp 1 in the Main Comp, you'll be able to "scale" the Nested Comp 2 back up to where you need it, as the negative scaling happens in Nested Comp 1, not 2.

Wow, continuous rasterizing not only has a long name but can boggle the mind sometimes.

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

Mark SambrookRe: Roughen Edges Effect On Layer Mask Weirdness
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 11:18:51 am

Cheers Ben, great stuff, works a treat.
Many thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved