ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Post - fixking a color shape on face

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alexandra yuozPost - fixking a color shape on face
by on Sep 1, 2011 at 7:00:12 pm

Hi to everyone.
first post! (after reading here a lot). well: here we go...
we shot a video. the actress was supposed to have a really cool makeup with a red shape on her face, but since the makeup artist kind of freaked out, now I have a kids-painting style makeup on the video.

main problem is, the 2 lines do not look the same thick , and the shape is reaaally not uniform.
SO: I would like to fix it in ae, not all are closeups, so at least a brief post on fullbody shots, and a more accurate on closeups. I would overlap a shape layer - color blending mode, and try to have it moving here and there.

question: is it possible to track the red shape? ( it's the only thing in the footage that has that color! ). maybe with mocha?
or what about isolating that color of the footage and make a really reddish color correction and work on the edges to make them more uniform?

would even be amazing having only one big thick red line ( instead of 2 parallels ). on a still I would do it with the color shape thingy. but what when it moves?

tips tips tips welcome!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Post - fixking a color shape on face
by on Sep 1, 2011 at 9:20:49 pm

I suppose there's a few ways of doing this, but here's one idea:
You can try to pull a color range key to isolate the shapes and her lips. You can use that as a mask and grade the skin to match the red of the shapes/lips. Then you need to use the same alpha of the lines, render a matte (black and white shapes) and paint out the space between the lines. Use this new matte to comp the graded red face on top of the original- that should give you a thick line.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

ben g ungurenRe: Post - fixking a color shape on face
by on Sep 1, 2011 at 10:03:20 pm

Tricky stuff. The green channel for that image is without doubt the cleanest, and I'd probably use that channel to generate any kind of procedural matte. If it were me, I'd probably try to isolate the skin between the red lines using a combination of procedural mattes and rotoscoping (with mocha). Then I'd try to color the skin between the two red lines to match the paint, and composite. The trickiest part will be to eliminate the edge that will invariably appear between the true red lines and the faked middle red line....

Ben Unguren
Motion Graphics & Editing

Return to posts index

alexandra yuozRe: Post - fixking a color shape on face
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 8:56:57 am

I'm gonna try both, and get back to u !

Return to posts index

adeeb oberoiRe: Post - fixking a color shape on face
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 2:34:18 pm

If it is not a very long shot then I would clean it up in photoshop. Render it out of AE as a sequence and import into photoshop.

Then use the tools like clone etc etc to correct the red line frame by frame.

This is time consuming but would give great results and if your footage is not too long you could do this in a couple of hours.

Then save the corrected sequence in photoshop and re-import back to AE.

Again, its not the fastest way but it will give you very good results.

Adeeb Oberoi
Carib Media Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved