ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

iMac or MacbookPro with Pegasus Thunderbolt?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua CarloniMac or MacbookPro with Pegasus Thunderbolt?
by on Aug 31, 2011 at 2:38:14 pm

Hi CCers --

I'm looking to put a system together for freelance editing and I could use some advice. I work in FCP7 (probably adding Premiere, now) and AfterEffects (AE is low to mid-complexity work).

Due to time and budget constraints it's not an option to buy a MacPro or wait to see what comes next. I need a solid system that will work for what I need to do now and for the next few years.

I'm split between the Macbook Pro 15" 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 and the iMac 21" 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7. I don't know how much (or if) I'll need to work mobile because my work life just got shook up so I'm trying to be prepared for all eventualities. On the other hand, the iMac processor is more powerful and it can hold more RAM.

Either way I'm looking at a Promise Pegasus Thunderbolt RAID for storage. It seems like it should be fast enough to run AE projects -- anyone have any experience with it?

Is anyone running AE on this laptop build? Any issues? A little rendering time I can deal with but RAM playback is a must.

Do I need to worry about overheating with either of these machines?

I'd appreciate any help you all can give me.

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: iMac or MacbookPro with Pegasus Thunderbolt?
by on Aug 31, 2011 at 3:08:06 pm

[Joshua Carlon] " RAM playback is a must." which case you select the machine into which you can shove the most RAM. Fill that baby up with RAM. Max it out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: iMac or MacbookPro with Pegasus Thunderbolt?
by on Aug 31, 2011 at 3:28:24 pm

Here are some relevant benchmarks:

I work on a Mac Pro when I'm in the office, but I work on a MacBook Pro when I'm on the road. I've never had an issue overheating.

As to the power/portability tradeoff, only you can decide. I do like the portability of the MBP, but when I have to do serious remote work, I either ship a workstation or rent one locally.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joshua CarlonRe: iMac or MacbookPro with Pegasus Thunderbolt?
by on Sep 8, 2011 at 8:28:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Going MBP...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved