ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE adding a solid alters camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ceri Howe
AE adding a solid alters camera
on Aug 31, 2011 at 11:32:41 am

Hello chaps,
This is my first post so I feel a little daft asking this.

I'm doing a crash zoom out from a closeup into a wide, cameras in place as are all my assets and everything looks fine.

However, I want to add a simple black vinette as the top layer and the moment I do that it screws my closeup camera position and changes its start of position.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for reading.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
Re: AE adding a solid alters camera
on Aug 31, 2011 at 2:09:07 pm

If you've placed the Solid layer below the Camera or in between any 3D layers it will break the render order of the 3D spaces.

Place it at the top of the layer stack so that is is layer # 1, of nest the 3D Composition in another Comp and add the vignette there.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 31, 2011 at 2:25:43 pm

[Ceri Howe] "...I want to add a simple black vinette as the top layer and the moment I do that it screws my closeup camera position and changes its start of position..."

I would do the following:
  • Make a new composition to replace the layer in question. If this layer is footage -- not a solid, not a shape -- take it FROM THE PROJECT WINDOW.
  • In the main comp, copy any color correction-type effects applied to the layer in question, paste them into the same layer in the new comp, and delete them from the layer in the main comp.
  • In the new comp, add a black solid, mask it and feather the mask to create the vignette.
  • In the main comp, duplicate the layer in question (for safety's sake) and turn off its visibility.
  • Highlight the duplicated layer, and replace it with the new comp using the Replace Footage command.

Everything should have worked properly. If it didn't, you still have the duplicated layer so you can try it again.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ceri Howe
on Aug 31, 2011 at 3:22:09 pm

Amazing, thanks very much!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:03:22 pm

Are you using a wiggle() expression on your camera? If so that could explain the result. wiggle() uses a seed based on the location of the property it is applied to within the composition's hierarchy, that is to say that a wiggle() expression on one layer or property will return a different result than a wiggle on another layer or property, and if you change the order of the layer/property or add a new layer/property it may change the seed for the returned values of wiggle().

You can see this effect if you create a new composition with 2 layers (Layer 1 and Layer 2), apply the same wiggle() code to the position properties of the layers, then switch the layer order of the two layers. Notice that the result of the position property on Layer 1 and Layer 2 have switched along with the layer order.

If you're not using wiggle() then I apologize for the long winded response :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]