Humorous page about unauthorized Growl installs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad BusséHumorous page about unauthorized Growl installs
by on Aug 31, 2011 at 5:17:59 am

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Humorous page about unauthorized Growl installs
by on Aug 31, 2011 at 3:26:10 pm

That is neither humorous, nor is it related to After Effects (unless I missed something).

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Brad BusséRe: Humorous page about unauthorized Growl installs
by on Sep 1, 2011 at 4:51:54 am

"Adobe has an article in their knowledge base explaining what notifications CS5 sends and how to remove Growl. They have also published a blog post all but apologizing for installing Growl on users' systems without permission, and saying that they are “actively working to mitigate the problem”."

I just found some of the wording in that article to be funny as an official PR letter from a company, saying that their angry that other companies are installing Growl without the users' permission. Don't they have some say in the matter?

FYI, Adobe CS5 also installs something called Akamai NetSession. Essentially, it's a P2P client, that lets Adobe leverage your computer and your net bandwidth to deliver their software quickly when someone downloads an Adobe demo or other Adobe downloadable files. It saves them $ on file servers, by sneaking their customers into unwittingly sharing their own resources. I believe NetSession is listed in the EULA, but I'm not sure about Growl. Either way, we all know no one actually reads EULAs besides attorneys.

Return to posts index

Josh PappasRe: Humorous page about unauthorized Growl installs
by on Sep 1, 2011 at 9:48:18 pm

On the topic of NetSession, it is an incorrect generalization to state, "Essentially, it's a P2P client..."

The NetSession Interface is a required core library that enables the Akamai Download Manager to work. The benefit of the Download Manager is that it provides faster, more reliable downloads for the very large files that Adobe needs delivered. It allows downloading from multiple servers on Akamai's network simultaneously and resuming downloads if they are interrupted, among other things. Basically, the things you use download managers for, but specific to Akamai's CDN.

Not that NetSession can't be used by other applications for true P2P, but I'd like to see more information showing that Adobe is using it in that way before assuming it to be true. I tried to verify whether Adobe is leveraging NetSession's P2P features before posting this, but have not been able to find anything. However, I'm always open to learning new things (and have so much to learn!), so if you have sources to support that assertion, I'd love to see them.

For now, I think it's just there for the Download Manager. I've never noticed it do anything else on my machines.

Return to posts index

Brad BusséRe: Humorous page about unauthorized Growl installs
by on Sep 2, 2011 at 6:49:34 am

Well, I run my Adobe software on Macs, and awhile back I had the Netsession showing up in my Activity Monitor as constantly utilizing 100% of one of my CPU cores:

Exactly how Adobe implements and utilizes Netsession, I don't know for sure ... it's probably outlined in the EULA. But, why choose a download manager based on a technology which according to the Akamai FAQ states that one of the benefits is to; "enable secure, closed peer-to-peer networking so that websites can deliver files to their users economically and with faster downloads."

I know that I was seeing Netsession constantly trying to connect, so I blocked it with Little Snitch.

Here's some other interesting reading about Adobe's integration of P2P tech in Flash Player:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved