ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Which composition settings to choose?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruno Saar
Which composition settings to choose?
on Aug 31, 2011 at 12:01:35 am

I'm working on of my first projects in AE, so don't mind my lack of knowledge. Baby steps are taken!

My problem is as follows: After Effects interprets the interlaced video footage I shot as 720x576 (1,46) 25fps, which is correct I believe. I've also created a short intro in After Effects to my footage and decided to render it with the settings of 1280x720, Square pixel aspect ratio, 25fps. However, I really want the end result to stay in 720p after combining those 2 clips.

My question is, how would I achieve the best quality to my final render? My initial thought was just to add the non-HD footage to the end of my composition, drag the scaling handles until the black areas disappear and that'd be it. I am aware, that the footage gets slightly softer in result, but how would I get the best out of it?

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
Re: Which composition settings to choose?
on Aug 31, 2011 at 6:39:42 am

[Bruno Saar] "My question is, how would I achieve the best quality to my final render? My initial thought was just to add the non-HD footage to the end of my composition, drag the scaling handles until the black areas disappear and that'd be it. I am aware, that the footage gets slightly softer in result, but how would I get the best out of it?"

There are plug-ins designed to handle just this scenario. I don't have any of them, but I've heard that Instant HD mentioned quite a bit:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/magic-bullet-instant-hd/

If you don't have the money to blow on a plug-in then you have another option. With your SD footage selected in the timeline, you can use the Layer > Transform > Fit To Comp Width command. This will cut off the top and bottom of the original footage, but fit it to your composition without distorting anything. You can then move the footage up or down in the composition to reframe.

Alternatively you could use the Layer > Transform > Fit To Comp command, but this will distort the SD footage by scaling it more horizontally than vertically (it will look squeezed vertically).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]