ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animation + Alpha from AE to FCP aliasing problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexandre BorgesAnimation + Alpha from AE to FCP aliasing problem
by on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:08:09 pm

Hey guys, Im having problems with alpha footages in fcp.
Every time I export a footage from AE with alpha, it looks fine in quicktime, but when I import into fcp it looks poorly.
Here are to images, one captured from quciktime and another from FCP.

My sequence in FCP is AppleProRes 422, 29,97 1920x1080
My export from AE is Animation(w Alpha, unmatted), 29.97, 1920x1080

Theres some way to make this looks good in FCP, or I have to forget the alpha channel in FCP and do all the animation in AE then return a footage in ProRes, for example?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Animation + Alpha from AE to FCP aliasing problem
by on Aug 30, 2011 at 6:54:29 pm

Best way to do it is to cut in FCP and do animations and compositing in AE. You van render ProRes from AE and bring in FCP for... well, the final cut.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animation + Alpha from AE to FCP aliasing problem
by on Aug 30, 2011 at 7:13:41 pm

I recommend that you double check the field order in the Sequence Settings for the FCP edit timeline, the footage in the FCP browser, and the field order in which you rendered in AE. If you rendered fields, you should render upper field first, because the field order for 1080 video is upper field first.

FCP mistakenly calls it "field dominance". It's a goof they haven't fixed in over a decade.

But I agree with Ted: it's better to render both foreground and background in AE. I work in AE and editi in FCP, and the only times I render using alpha channels is because I have an overwhelming reason for doing so. For example, when I make an animated lower-third graphic that I'll use over and over again.

But what if it's a chroma key shot, and I've been lazy and I didn't pick the background yet? I get busy and FIND the background!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alexandre BorgesRe: Animation + Alpha from AE to FCP aliasing problem
by on Aug 30, 2011 at 7:31:42 pm

I checked the FIELD ORDER and solved the problem. The sequence in FCP was in NONE. Once I've changed to upper, the alpha looks so much better.

Yeah, I know, the best ways to do this is entirely in AE, but sometimes I need to work with alpha to create a more efficient workflow.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved